New Red Cedar Turning Brown

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Mines02, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Mines02

Mines02 Member

Hi,
    I recently planted a few Red Cedars on my backyard here in west central Florida(Tampa). I believe they are Thuja species. The main reason I planted this kind of tree is because I needed a privacy fence. Before planting the trees, I was told that too much shade will not affect the tree. Also, I was told that the proximity between trees would not be an issue. Well, it's been about 2 months since the trees were planted. The trees look fairly green from the one side, but on the side facing the fence, they have turned brown. Only the top section looks somewhat green. Is there anything I can do to save these trees? I have been watering them twice a day but have not fertilize them. Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    +Mines

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Too much water, not enough sun, and fertilizer would help, but not if they're sick.

3. Mines02

Mines02 Member

Is there anything I can do to keep the trees from dying at this point? What can of fertilizer can I appy?
    Thanks
    +Mines

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Read my post again Mines.

5. Mines02

Mines02 Member

I meant to say, is there anything I can do with a fertilizer or some special nutrient. I cut back the watering. There is nothing I can do about the sun. The shade is about 50%. Will I still be bound to loose them though.
    Thanks
    +Mines

6. Mines02

Mines02 Member

Rima,
    Do you think the trees stand a chance? A good portion of the Cedar is still very green. It is only in the inner sections close to the trunk that are brown. I just wanted to know if at this point its a matter of time before the whole tree turns brown. As I said before, I cut back water to once every other day. The trees were planted 7 weeks ago, they are about 11 feet tall. Your reply or anyone else with knowledge with this type of tree is greatly appreciated. I'm desperate to help these trees.

Thanks

+Minor

7. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, well if the browning is only close to the trunk and/or lower parts of the tree, that's normal - last years old growth making room for new foliage (brush it out to allow sun in). Relax a little, let nature take its course in acclimating them to their new home (takes a lot longer than a houseplant would :-).