"Magnolia virginiana"

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Jeannie, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Jeannie

Jeannie Member

Trying to find this plant or one similar that has the odor of the magnolia. I once found one in someone's garden in Ontario that I could smell from a block away. I am looking for one like this. Any Ideas?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Magnolia odors vary with species and cultivar, so "the odor of the magnolia" is a request that cannot be met with certainty based on that phrase alone. You also do not explain what the other issue you are having is. You can't find a Magnolia virginiana, or those you have found do not seem to fit the bill? If you are sure the tree you smelled was this species, then the next step would be to call/e-mail nurseries until you find one in stock or find someone who will have one later (January is the low point for the year in garden centres, inventories having been minimised to reduce tax burdens, customer turnout being poor).

This species varies from deciduous through semievergreen to evergreen, named cultivars of the latter type have been on the market down here in recent years. The evergreen ones are the most impressive.