Repotting my venus flytrap.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mrbig, Aug 8, 2005.

1. mrbig

mrbig Member

I attached some pictures of my plant I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me if i should replant the new seedlings. I read that if you have more than 7 plants that they broke away from the mother plant. Please let me know if I should repot the new sprouts. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. mjricha

mjricha Member

I only replant mine entire flytrap in the early spring before they begin to come out of dormancy. The roots are thin and black so don't be afraid that thay're rotten. You can separate the little plantlets i spring if you want but they don't hurt each other to be close. A big bunch of them look pretty cool.

3. cactus6103

cactus6103 Member

I agree with the above answer as well. Red

Remember, they need a period of "sleep" over the winter.

4. mjricha

mjricha Member

Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the picture, but your flytrap looks kinda yellow. Anybody have ideas as to what causes this? It appears to be in adequate light on that windowsill.

5. Paul6

Paul6 Member

hmmm mine has really wide leaf like stems and they dont hold the traps up well...is this normal?

Attached Files:

6. cactus6103

cactus6103 Member

I would suggest a bigger pot, 6 size that is tall and fresh flytrap soil. Keep the pot in about an inch or so of water at all times. Put it outdoors in 8 hours of direct sunlight for the summer. Red

7. flytrap

flytrap Active Member

Hi...

seeing that you're from Ontario, you may want to check out our Ontario Carnivorous Plant forum...very active and helpful place. Here's a direct link to info on venus fly traps, and some suggestions and advice from experts who have looked into similar queries about repotting broken VFTs. http://ocps.proboards78.com/index.cgi?board=dionaea

David

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(thanks David - added OCPS forums to the Other Forums links database)