My Portulacaria afra (Elephant's Food, Elephant Bush) is dying. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by AlexandraNS, Sep 18, 2006.

1. AlexandraNS

AlexandraNS Active Member

Hello everyone.
    I am new here. First of all forgive any grammar or generally language mistakes I make since English is not my mother tongue.

I joined mostly because my favourite plant looks seriously ill.
    I would really appreciate any help I can get!!!!!!!
    My plant is “Portulacaria afraâ€, also known as “Elephant's Food†or “Elephant Bushâ€. It is approximately 5 years old but I have it for 4 years and the last 2 years it is growing really fast. Especially from this spring until 1 week ago it grew from 70 centimetres (2.3 feet) to 1 meter (3,28 feet). It is planted still in its original pot which is a clay pot 12 centimetres width (4.72 inches) and 9,5 centimetres height (3.74 inches).
    I was in the process trying to figure out of this is normal or if I should cut it down a bit but I don’t have the heart to touch it. I thought nature knows what it’s doing. I don’t want to treat it as a bonsai. I want it to grow naturally. But before I even started my research about it . . . it started . . . The longest branch, which is 1 meter long (3,28 feet), started losing its leaves dramatically. Just by touching it a little bit tenths of healthy leaves are falling. The branch has started loosing its leaves from the top and gradually dying downwards as if something is eating it.
    Now I have done my research about it and I will tell you what is NOT wrong with it first.
    1) I checked very very thoroughly all the branches and soil and it is not root mealy bugs or any other bugs.
    2) I haven’t moved it and no temperature or light condition has changed in its environment.
    3) And last, I haven’t over watered it!!!!
    I water it exactly the same way for 4 years now and it has never complained.

The only time it got in a bad shape was 3 years ago when I moved to a new apartment. It got shocked with the change of light, change of temperature and everything so it lost ALL its leaves and was completely naked for a couple of months. BUT the branches were very healthy and kept on growing till they started growing leaves and thrived again.
    Now it is different. Now the branch is dying.

I also noticed during these 4 years some other branches that are wrinkly and thin in some of their parts (not the entire branch) and don’t look particularly healthy in my opinion, but they have leaves and the upper part of these brunches is green and healthy and still growing.
    I don’t know what to do. Should I replant it? Should I cut it down? I don’t want to cut it down really . . . but if it stops it from perish I will do it :s
    Please please please help me! This plant is my pride and joy of all my plants. It is also the very first plant I ever cared for and the reason I started being interested in plants.
    Here I posted some pictures so that you can get a visual of what is happening to my baby!

Attached Files:

2. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, The first thing I would do is to try and propagate the plant, while you still have decent cutting material, it will in fact grow from leaf cuttings, start them off in a fairly sharp compost, make sure they are kept just moist, in a warm position, not direct sunlight.
    With your main plant let it nearly dry out, whilst initially pruning it back by about 2/3, to an out ward facing bud each time,and then repot it in to an open gritty compost, if you manage to halt its decline, do not water it until it puts out new growth, then water it sparingly. They do like to be kept on the dry side, in most situations, I wish you luck!

Ashizuru.....

3. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    From my experience with my plants, my guess is that it needs a bigger pot with fresh healthy soil. I've had plants do the exact same thing in the past and after repotting them into bigger pots, they were bigger and healthier than ever again. With a plant that grows as quickly as yours, I'd put it in a much larger pot to give it more space to grow for a longer time.

4. AlexandraNS

First of all I want to thank everyone for your help and your advices.

Oh I knew it would come to this. Pruning and repoting you say then!
    I hate pruning. :( I don’t know how to do it without butchering it :(

So how much should I cut? All the old thick long branches have also long sub branches that have also sub branches and so on . . . Should I cut it down to half its size or. . . ? - “Ashizuru†said: about 2/3. Do you mean down to 2/3 from its original size? (oh Lord)
    Also I guess I should go and buy a special cutting thingy (…sorry bad English…) because the branches are really hard and a regular pair of scissors would most probably chew rather than cut right? (You see! It’s obvious I have never done this before :s )
    And then what do I do with the healthy branches that I cut? I guess that this is what you meant with “propagateâ€. So I should cut and then put them in a pot and NOT in a glass of water as I do with an ordinary Pothos plant and wait for it to root right?

- Ok ok don’t be angry at me, I am really a newbee here (sigh) –

Also, when should I do this? Isn’t it bad for the plant to cut it in autumn? Should I wait till next spring?
    The same goes for the repoting. Should I wait till spring?
    The reason I haven’t moved it to a bigger pot all these years is because someone told me that these plants like rocky areas and like to be huddled. I guess she was wrong since all of you are telling me to repot.
    So, even if my heart breaks with the thought of chopping off my baby . . . I’m going to do whatever you’re telling me here, provided that you’re kind enough to give me a few more advices on how to do it!

I feel as if I’m about to perform a surgery with someone giving me instructions over the phone hehe

5. ashizuru

Hi Alexandrians,

I understand your dilemma, you will need a decent pair of secureurs, to carry out the neceserry work. I sugest you cut it back to healthy looking stems, that are not "wrinkly" as you describe them,obviously, just on the advent of Spring is the time to carry out these remedial works, but we are here, trying to save your plant,as I sugested before you can use the leaves for propogation, insert them in your potting medium by about 50 %, water the compost, and cover with a plastic bag, held in place with a elastic band, put them on a warm, light window sill, not in direct sun. check them regularly, and pot them on as soon as they have rooted, into 5cm pots, in a fairly sharp compost, once established, and the pots are full of roots, pot on to a larger pot, pass on the ones you do not need to your friends.

Going back to your existing "baby", Portulacaria afra ,are fairly tough plants, and usually dont mind being hard pruned, do keep it on the dry side once you have carried out your remedial work.
    Once you have finished the pruning, you can do your re- potting, what ever size your pot is go 2 sizes up for the new pot, if you look on the bottom of the pot you should see the size,
    if it is, say, a 3ltr pot go to a 5ltr pot and so on, ok! as I mentioned before you will need a free draining compost, if you take away about 1/3 of the existing soil on root ball, and also some from the top of root ball and prune off any dead or hanging roots,then put some of the fresh compost in the bottom of your new pot, hold the plant central, and feed more compost around the pot, clapping the pot occasionally with your hands, to settle down the compost, fill it to 2.5cm from the the rim of the pot, make sure the plant is secure in the pot with out the soil being to compacted.
    Do not water it until you see new signs of growth, then hopefully it should recover, bearing in mind that it should always be kept on the dry side.
    Since Portulacaria are a fast growing, it should soon be back to its old self.

I hope I have covered the most relevant points for you, I wish you luck.Happy growing.

Ashizuru........

6. AlexandraNS

Oh thank you thank you thank you! You are so kind to answer to me so fast and so thoroughly. Thank you for your patience with all my questions:) Your repoting tips are very useful for my other plants as well since after I read what you said here I realised that every time I was repoting something I was doing it wrong -_-

Ok now I understood much better of what I’m supposed to do. Tomorrow I’m buying a new big pot, some fresh mix and a cutting thingy ;) and I hope I won’t mutilate my baby! >_<

Again, thank you so much :)

7. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    Good luck with pruning with the 'cutting thingy' also known as clippers/pruning shears. Keep us posted on how your Baby does post-op (after surgery).

ps. your English is awesome, especially with the touch of humour!

8. AlexandraNS

hehe thanx! I'm preparing for the big day tomorrow :s
    I'll let you know after the autopsy ... errrrr ... surgery I mean :s

9. ashizuru

Hi, hope all goes well for you!! be swift and sure with your cuts!! and dont forget the TLC.....

Ashizuru.........

10. AlexandraNS

Ok ladies and gentlemen! Operation “chopping off the elephant bush” is complete >_<
    I went off and bought a pair of clippers (or else choppers or else torturing device for plants) and after 2 days (I had to prepare), 3 packs of cigarettes a couple of aspirins and few cups off coffee I did it . . .
    From 1 meter (3,28 feet) I chopped it down to 30 centimetres (11.81 inches)
    My heart bled as I started and it’s still bleeding looking at it. The entire time I was thinking: “it’s for your own good, it’s for your own good”. Then I thought: “oh dear, I’m turning into my parents: s heh Then I repoted it into a bigger pot.
    Anyway I don’t know if I saved it or not …. I better have, ‘cause I’m about to have a nervous breakdown here. It looks so small and sad now :(
    Anyhow, I threw away most of the cuttings (sob) and I kept 12 pieces which I inserted in small pots and put plastic bags around them (It sounds so awful ….. :s)
    I hope I did everything right according to Ashizuru’s instructions. Oh, I also made a few holes on the plastic bags cause they looked asphyxiated and very very scared and sad. (Oh I’m such a woose).
    So here are some pictures for you. If you see any mistakes or anything I could have done better, please please tell me!!!!!
    Also . . . I know I’m getting annoying now but . . . how long will it take for the small babies to grow roots? How will I know when to replant them? Should I dig them out now and then and check? Should I water them normally or should I sprinkle the soil with a spraying thingy?

I know I know too many questions +_+

Thank you and have a nice day :)

Attached Files:

11. ashizuru

Hi Alexandra.
    All you need now is a little patience, your cuttings should root fairly quickly, just inspect them on a regular basis, Do not over water your cuttings, and existing plant.
    Looking at your jpegs, the plant looks better than I imagined, any how best of luck with your project, try to be positive.

Ashizuru....

12. AlexandraNS

Well I couldn’t do it without you :)
    Your help and advices were very valuable. Thank you and thanks for the encouraging comments:)

Take care,
    Alexandra

13. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I've just read your threads quickly, so excuse me if you've done this, but did you allow the cutting to callous over for a week or two before inserting in the rooting medium? Just a thought, as this is suggested with succulents...

14. AlexandraNS

Oh my! No, I did not >_<
    I put them directly in the pot!
    Do you think that's bad?
    I hope it's not THAT bad! :s

15. Chester

Well, they may take anyway. With succulents, it is suggested that you let them callous over, or dry out a bit on the end. Roots will form more easily from a calloused end than they will from a newly cut moist end. More likely to rot I suspect. Some succulents, like epiphyllums can be allowed to callous for several weeks. Really inspires them to root quickly. You could pull out say, one third of your cuttings, cut them again, allow them to dry, and start them up in potting medium. Then see which ones take better. Or you could stay as is. Your call. Just for future reference to you if you like succulents, which I suspect you do.

16. AlexandraNS

Thank you Chester for the advice. But I’m going to let them be this time. It is not that I don’t value your advice. I do. And next time I’ll try it as you said. But you see, this is the very first time I pruned this plant (or any plant) and the first time I’m trying to make cuttings root in a pot. I have only done this with other plants by placing the cuttings in a glass of water. So as a first timer I’m afraid to even look at the cuttings let alone touch them :s
    I am also a bit freaked out right now because the main plant is not doing very well. It has new growth but it is still losing tenths and tenths of perfectly healthy leaves everyday even though I pruned and repoted it. It is losing old healthy leaves AND new baby leaves :(
    But I’m hoping that it is in a shock or something and that it will revive. If not . . . then all I have left is these cuttings >_<

Fingers crossed and hope for the best.
    But thank you for the time you took to give me advice :)

17. Chester

My pleasure. Hope Mama Plant pulls through.