Aphids on Broccoli!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Laura_Lu, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Laura_Lu

Laura_Lu Member

First time growing broccoli, looks lovely, just about to pick some, and they are completely covered with a thick layer of aphids! Is there anything I can do about it now, at this stage, other than washing them off (yuck!) and is there anything I can do next year to avoid this problem (organically)? Thanks!

Laura

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Several years ago in Kingston, ON I grew Broccoli and had to use so much insecticide that I wouldn't eat the crop, and never grew the plant again until this year, more by accident than design and the ten plants were absolutely perfect. The accident was that I thought the plants were brussel sprouts, and when I found the mistake they were planted anyway, since I had the room.

Broccoli is a cold weather crop, and should be in the ground almost as soon as the snow goes. This is what I contributed my success to this year, since they were in the ground about the 18 April, Zone 5. Probably in my case the bugs were still alseep.

Getting all the bugs out of the little creaves is almost impossible, but if the effort is worth it, probably careful washing with warm to hot water may solve your problem. If small and still on the plant a soapy water solution may work, plus lots of washing with the hose.

Last week I drove through the Holland Marsh, North of Toronto, and observed a broccoli field that had a lot of bug damage to the leaves, that I could see from the road. I often wonder just how much spray the commercial growers use? Unfortunately bugs love this plant as much as I enjoy eating it.

My two cents worth.
    Durgan.

Durgan.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

at this stage I think hosing the off would be best. Have you thought of companion planting? Also, as mentioned it would prefer cooler temps, maybe you could start them earlier indoors and have them harvested before the hotter weather hits? maybe a partially shaded planting area?

4. Laura_Lu

Laura_Lu Member

Thank you both for the great advice. Just wondering, what would be a companion plant for broccoli? thanks, Laura