Amber colored sap oozing out from the snow fountain weeping cherry

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by fingernail, Sep 10, 2013.

1. fingernail

fingernail New Member

I need help with my snow fountain weeping cheery which I planted 4 months ago in May 2013. Last week I noticed the amber colored sap oozing out from base of the trunk close to soil line which is sticky and hard. I do not see sawdust underneath the sap. As for overall tree condition, leaves are generally small and curved, some leaves have holes and some were as if bitten by the bugs. Some of the leaves edges turned yellow. It's been 4 months since I bought and planted the tree and only about 4 to 5 new branches came out which have bigger healthier leaves without any holes. What are the possible problem, fungal, bacterial or insect? What type of treatment should I do? If anyone who had similar experience like this can you please share how you manage to solve it or any expert in this forum can jump in and give me your opinion as well as the specific treatment, name of the product to buy...etc. I greatly appreciate your advice!

2. fingernail

fingernail New Member

Attached are the pictures of the snow fountain weeping cheery.

Attached Files:

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Operative term gummosis, and yes, multiple possible causes are known. Try reading up on gummosis and seeing if you can recognize which one may be occurring in this instance.