kyomi tangor scale???

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by honolua, Aug 15, 2009.

1. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    I have a few different citrus plants, some of which are babies and some of which are larger. I just noticed on my baby Tangor, what appears to be perhaps scale? Brownish bumps on the underside of some of the leaves, and the entire stock....was not there before. It also looks sickly. I have attached photos, but they are blurry. I am sorry for this...could not get the new camera to focus no matter what I did! In any case, maybe someone could see through the blur and tell me if it is scale, or citrus aphids? In any case, I think it is toast as it is pretty covered and I dont think spray or oil will work at this point?
    thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, it certainly is scale. Your tree has a variety of scale known as soft brown scale. Fortunately, scale is quite easy to eradicate. Go to a good garden center, or Home Depot and purchase a product called UltraFine Horticultural Oil. Follow label directions by making a 1 percent solution, and spray your tree either in the early morning, or at dusk (never spray a citrus tree during the heat of the day). UltraFine is completely 100% non toxic to humans and pets, very safe to use. UltraFine is also excellent for the control of white fly, aphids and mealy bugs. The situation needs to be taken care of rather quickly. Your tree should recover. Scale is a VERY common problem with indoor citrus trees. Therefore, keep a watch as scale normally shows up once or twice a year. Good luck to you and this tree. - Millet (1,250-)