what is this purple flower plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Celeste L, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Celeste L

Celeste L Member

These came up as volunteers. are they weeds or flowers? what the heck are these things??????

Attached Files:

2. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

Looks like an Opium Poppy!

3. Celeste L

Celeste L Member

you can't be serious !!!

4. ashizuru

Hi,

Yes, it looks just like the ones I get in my garden, every summer, I treat them as weeds, but some people grow them as border plants, the secret is not to let them form seed heads, if you do, you have them for ever more, as they have millions of seeds.
    It is the seed heads that are cut/slashed, to get the sap from them, from which they collect and make the drug opium.

Ashizuru.....

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, Papaver somniferum (Opium Poppy). A common plant in gardens. Although technically illegal to grow it in the USA, the PNW climate isn't hot enough for opium production (that needs hot climates, like Afghanistan).

6. Celeste L

Celeste L Member

well do i feel stupid. and i even used my real name. double stupid.
    they sure are pretty though.

7. ashizuru

Don't worry about it, you were not to know, if you continue to grow them! cut the seed pods off, as soon as they finish flowering, to prevent them seeding around,they are a pretty flower, we get red, pink, white, striped ones,both double and single flowers.

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Grow them and let them spread a little. You may get some of the singles and pinky coloured ones next round. I used to gather the seeds and then spread them where I wanted a show. Re the seed pods they are a much looked for item of seed heads by florists. I couple of twigs in a simple container can look really interesting.

Liz

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Illegal in US since 1969. Strangely, various local nurseries were still selling the started plants last time I noticed, probably last year (haven't looked much at annuals so far this year). Wonder what would happen if they set out pacs of little marijuana plants? Very common reseeding annual in local gardens, if not the most common one surely one of the most common ones. A local motel has had a small patch for years, right on a state highway where cops would have driven by a thousand times. (This year I see only several plants coming on, here and there among the shrubs - last year or another recent summer there was quite a display, very noticeable).

Nevertheless, the plant really is illegal here and supposedly there are occasional raids. A big patch that might be a production field is what is said to be what attracts official visits.

An elderly neighbor of Norwegian origin use to pull them up and hang them out to dry above where he sat outside in his chair and looked out over his domain.

10. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

The Salt Spring Island RCMP office has them all over the garden. ( I know its Salt Spring and we appear to be a bit lax on the rules, but nobody seems to be worried about it) I have yet to see the cops attempt to harvest...lol

11. tanya

tanya Member

they sure are pretty

12. Michael F

And even more, the presence of pods with knife slits to promote latex secretion.

13. Celeste L

Celeste L Member

hmm michael, sounds like you have had experience.....

and Ron - any idea what the limit (of number of plants) is before one attracts official attention? :)
    before I posted the pics, I visitied my local home improvement store looking for them - trying to identify them, and they didn't have anything like them.

boohoo i dont want to kill em ! they are beautiful and they grow so wellllll.

14. Michael F

'Fraid not practical experience - only read about it in books!

15. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Big box stores offer extremely limited selections of plants.