aubretia colour ?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Roger Hawkes, May 18, 2009.

1. Roger Hawkes

Roger Hawkes Active Member

When I drive from Victoria up the Malahat I see blue flowers growing off road . I made an inquiry and was told it was Aubretia . I have looked it up and the colours donot come close to the same blue . I was told it will probably grow on rock and is a perennial . I was hoping to use it as a rock wall covering on SaltSpring Island .
    Does anyone have more info as to whether that is the correct plant ? I hope to pick a sample and take it to a nursery .
    Roger

2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Can you post pictures of the blooms and foliage? Also, you may want to move your thread to the "Plant Identification" forum for more people to see your thread :)

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Wow, Ron, that's beautiful! I hope this is your plant "Roger"!

5. Roger Hawkes

Roger Hawkes Active Member

I drove from Victoria up the Malahat to see if I could find a sample of the plant I was looking for . I'm beginning to think I may have been imagining what it looked like and exactly where it was . What I did find was a plant called Lupine . I took a sample and had it identified .
    I'm not sure how it shows itself in the growing stages , but this was different than what I thought I had seen .
    I did notice an abundance of of Scotch Broom everywhere and wonder if they may have smothered the plant I thought I was looking for .
    It will have to wait untill earlier next year when the same seasonal circumstances present them selves .
    Thanks for all your replies .
    Roger