How fast can a big leaf maple grow?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Jacqueline Hohmann, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Jacqueline Hohmann

Jacqueline Hohmann New Member

With a five year start, is it possible for Acer macrophyllum to attain 40 feet in 10 years? The tree I am thinking of is multi-stemmed (4) growing in shade, within a couple feet of a large, old western red cedar. (I have photos but not sure how to post them.)

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Big leaf maple can grow pretty fast—a metre or a metre and a half a year for a few years when happy. However, if there is any sort of root competition, you can reduce that estimate considerably. Forty feet in ten years from a standing start is ambitious, but if the soil is deep and fertile and drains well and is adequately supplied with moisture in the spring and summer, I suppose it might just be possible. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

3. Jacqueline Hohmann

Jacqueline Hohmann New Member

Hi Douglas. Thanks so much for responding. I am an ISA arborist/TRA, not too many years experience, and/but I have opinions about this tree that I would like validated. I would appreciate showing you some photos if you can take the time to view. PS: My son is Kyle Moss, he is in the program with Egan up there at UBC, and enjoying it so much. I'm very proud of him and so grateful that he considers the course he is in there is so worthwhile to his future!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015