tomatoes are not lg. as usualy but small

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by marymary4868, Jul 25, 2008.

1. marymary4868

marymary4868 Member

I grow tomatoes are small this year, I grow them in a hot house I built for several yr.'s now, they are in raised beds, I put wood ash and epsome salts on the bottom then top soil,then fertilizer,top soil, etc untill it has all new soil, while I have hundereds on, they seem to be very smal this yr. I have about 8 different types, early girl to sonic, only 1 type is coming on w/ larger tom. it was planted off to the side, some new type, jet someting. I had my first ripe tom. in the last part of June, but they are just now really coming on faster, I was wondering if I may be giving them too much water. tx Mary in oregon

2. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

Hey marymary, I don't have a definative answer for you, just comments. The first thing that struck me when reading your post was that I've heard the very same thing a lot this summer.
    I personally haven't experienced it, but many of my friends in Tennessee and Georgia have commented on their tomatoes being smaller than normal and not coming on real fast.

I believe overwatering could be a factor, but I'd think there would be other problems associated with overwatering other than just smaller fruit. Could be a climate thing? But then again yours are in a green house are'nt they?

Wish I had a good answer for you, I'm curious myself why so many people this year have mentioned this. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will give us some insight.

3. marymary4868

marymary4868 Member

Tx, for the reply, I was wrong about the one that is being normal, it was the sonic, the one I have given the least amount of care to lol, our weather here is very strange , as is it almost everywhere, this year. am going to be 70 next year, so thinking about giving it all up and moving to Peru, can get a studio for myself for$350.00 a month and everything is dirt cheap. That is in the most plush part ,Mia Flores,suburb of Lima, I have a girl friend that lives there in the euro section, she showed me pic.'s very nice, overlooking the ocean. anyway, thanks again for your sharing w/ me. Mary Mary