Peace Lily

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by borutski, Sep 10, 2006.

1. borutski

borutski Member

Can anyone suggest why my peace plant has bloomed for three consecutive years, each year blooms get smaller and now this year i have had no blooms a all?

2. plantlady62

plantlady62 Active Member

Have you been feeding your Peace Lily? It may be "hungry"

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Exposure to bright, indirect light will encourage flowering. If the plant has been in the same location then, as plantlady62 suggested, perhaps fertilization or the lack thereof is the problem.

4. jenniflower

jenniflower Member

Peace plants need a lot of sunlight. Have you moved your plant to a new location this year? Just curious...

5. borutski

borutski Member

No, I havn't changed the location. I thought maybe that the soil was depleted so I moved it to a larger pot and added more fresh soil. I am getting new leaf growth at the rate of 1-3 new leafs a week. The plant looks healthy it just won't bloom. Although it never has received a lot of sun light........ I wish a had a window with a different exposure but it's in the best place I have.

Thanks,

6. borutski

borutski Member

I did fertalize and it increased the leaf growth

7. jenniflower

jenniflower Member

If you don't have a good window perhaps you could purchase an artificial lighting system for your peace lily! Also some plants have seasons where they are more dormant than others.....does your lily bloom at certain times of the year...maybe you just need to wait. Just a thought.

8. jenniflower

jenniflower Member

Another thought...plants in general use lots of carbs/energy to bloom...they also use lots of energy to grow leaves....perhaps your plant is not growing blooms because all it's energy is going into growing all those new little leaves. Maybe you need to cut down on the fertilizer....Just wondering....

9. plantlady62

plantlady62 Active Member

If you just repotted into a bigger pot, it is sitting there, growing more roots and leaves, using all its energy for those purposes and has nothing left for growing flowers. Fertilize with a plant food with a higher middle #. That will give you blooms. Peace lilies do not want full sun, they will scorch in full sun. I have one in a northern window and it blooms almost constantly. I feed it with 10-15-10.

10. borutski

borutski Member

sometimes the obvious just slips right by.
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks
    I'll try the new fertalizer and hope it helps. The blooms fasinate me, they start pure white and then turn green as they die, Completly opposite to what you think should happen.