Grub Worms

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by CFrostRun, Jan 3, 2009.

1. CFrostRun

CFrostRun Member

I live in North Texas and am having a problem with grub worms. I have treated my yard with a Scot's Grub Worm killer but have seen no improvement. Now that the weather has cooled it seems to be getting worse. I have researched Beneficial Nematodes, but I have questions about this as weel. Is it safe around pets, and can you over treat?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The chemical pesticide - if that's what it is, and not something like Bt - you are already using is the one where you would want to check the label and see what it says about safety around pets. The nematodes are microscopic worms that enter the insects and cause them to die. Much more precisely targeted approach than a toxic chemical preparation that kills or damages anything that gets enough exposure.

If the Killer is in fact Bt then it works in a similar fashion to the nematodes, the active ingredient being a bacterium that infests and kills only susceptible larvae. Seems like it's usually butterfly and moth larvae. Perhaps beetles are not affected and that is what you have in your lawn.

3. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

I would read up on Milky Spore - safe for beneficial insects, birds, bees, pets or children.