Identification: Mushroom we keep harvesting accidentally with yellowfoots

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by analogarsonist, Oct 27, 2014.

1. analogarsonist

analogarsonist New Member

Every time we collect yellowfoots, we always pick up a few of these by accident - they look similar, and they grow amongst the clusters of yellowfoots.

It's relatively easy to tell that they are not yellowfoots - they are brighter orange, real gills, slimy and sticky. Spore print in progress.

Anyway, just wanted to check if they are dangerous - in case we should be paying more attention to make sure we don't collect these by accident!

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Were they growing on wood? If so they may be Chrysomphalina cf. chrysophylla.
    Looking forward to spore print results too!
    cheers,
    frog

3. analogarsonist

analogarsonist New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

No, these never grow on wood - they're always growing on the ground or moss, often near-to or under a log. Same habitat as yellowfoots...

I looked up Chrysomphalina cf. chrysophylla, and it definitely looks like that could be it - but I've always seen the cap in a perfect circle shape, have not seen any that are more irregular and wavy like the pictures of the older Chrysomphalina cf. chrysophylla.

The spore print was unsuccessful - maybe I didn't do it correctly, or maybe the spores were white?

I mostly wanted to make sure that they are not deadly galerinas :) The stalk looks different though.

Cheers,
    Alan