One more from the bike path

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by huffmun, Sep 13, 2003.

1. huffmun

huffmun Member

I am trying to identify several plants I found along a new bike path in northern Indiana.

This plant is growing in abundance along the bike path. Most of it stays no more than 3 to 4 feet high but in places it is over 6 feet high. The flowers are orange and are about 1 inch in size.

There is a section where the plants look the same but the flowers are yellow, as if it is a variation on the dominant plant.

I will try to attach two photos.

Attached Files:

• 256s.jpg
      256s.jpg
      File size:
      125.7 KB
      Views:
    • 257s.jpg
      257s.jpg
      File size:
      60.5 KB
      Views:
  2. hippobroma

hippobroma Member

Looks a bit like a Mimulus. Is there any water (a stream, a river)near your bike path?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I can see why you think it might be a Mimulus due to the shape of the flower, but it is actually a species of Impatiens - I'm not sure which, yet. Still looking...

4. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Impatiens capensis

5. huffmun

huffmun Member

I think impatiens capensis is correct, spotted touch-me-not.

The yellow colored one may be inpatiens pallida, pale touch-me-not or jewellweed.

In response to the other question, northern Indiana was a vast wetland 200 years ago, stretching from South Bend to Chicago. The bike path is built on an abandoned railroad right of way, which was constructed on a bed elevated above the surronding land. The path is dry but there are ditches and wetlands along both sides of much of the path.

Most of the land was ditched and drained for farming and later residential development but in areas where the land is allowed to go wet again wetland species sprout because of the "seed bank" still in the soil.

Thank you for the help.

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Jewelweed.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Thousands of them on the river terraces at Monroe, WA and other wetland sites in western WA.

8. claudia burns

claudia burns Member

Impatiens capensis or Jewelweed is also known as 'Touch -me -not" due to the really neat seedpods which when ripe spring open when touched ,releasing the seeds. Kids love to do this as you can feel the 'sproing' between your fingers as you lightly grasp them. Jewelweed is abundant in Eastern Ontario and is an annual which spreads prolifically in my garden so that i pull hundreds of the seedlings out every spring and am still left with many to grow, flower and reseed.
    It attracts Ruby throated Hummingbirds which love the nectar.
    Claudia

9. Wojciech

Wojciech Active Member

I can agree, Impatiens capensis. The species is spreading in Europe, found about 20 years ago also in Poland.
    Wojciech

10. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have often heard that jewel weed was the plant to look for to soothe the rash caused by poison ivy. Never had a reaction to poison ivy, so have not tried this, but it might be good to know if you are in the wild with no other remedies. Apparently soothes many kinds of rashes.

11. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've also read that it doesn't work!