What's wrong with my Crown-Of-Thorns? Is this Pest Problem?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by HK77, Mar 9, 2009.

1. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Hi All,

Please check the attached pictures and help my Crown-of-Thorns plant. Last month, I've also encountered such problem on a stem in this plant and I cut that branch and thought the problem was over. But yesterday, I found out 3 more branches like this and don't know what to do. I can see lots of green leaves turned yellow in last 2 weeks. Flowering also significantly reduced.

Now, it's spring time in my country. Temperature around 30-32 during day time and 22-26 night time.

Thanks In Advance,
    HK77

Attached Files:

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Rot from fungus, moisture can be one of the plants health affected issues...you may have to take more pruning action if you have rot....if the roots are also affected, this could be systemic...

3. HK77

HK77 Active Member

So, what do I need to do? Cut those stems back to good level and apply fungicides to the whole plant? Yesterday, I've already cut those rot stems back to good level. Anyway to cure this disease?

Thanks,

4. K Baron

HK77 is the plant in the ground or potted? Over watered potted plants may also be the problem... In either case , you may need to also check the root ball, and if indeed fungus and rot is happening, then a fungicide from your local nursery may help, also take a cutting to the nursery as they can better examine this chronic problem, than trying to identify it in a picture. Good luck!

5. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Hi K Baron,

It's the potted plant and I think overwatering may be the problem. During last month, I've watered a bit more to that plant. If overwatering is the problem, reduce watering now can cure the cause???? Can I cut watering for about 3 days?

Thanks,
    HK77

6. K Baron

It is difficult to accurately tell from what the photos show.... you may need to start over, especially if the rot is in the root base, sorry if this does not aid you any further...

7. HK77

HK77 Active Member

I've done 2 grafting on this plant within last month and both of these graftings are doing well till now. New leaves coming out from the top and both are quite healed at the grafted area. 2 days ago, I cut these rotted braches till the good white material appear inside the brach. Then I've grafted 2 braches into these cut ends. If these new grafts are still alive in next 2 week, Can you tell that the root ball is still not rot???? I just hope only the braches are rot and not the root ball so that I can graft new branches into them.

Thanks,
    HK77