companion planting

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by Wolvie150, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

Anyone know of a good source for companion planting - one that would fit "anal detail"???
    I have found some lists, but am trying to be lazy. I am trying to combine the 'host' for the companion, soil lists of both host and companion, h20/sunlight conditions, planting/harvest times, special notes (such as while young dill is okay, mature dill can be detrimental to the taste benefits), on one access form. If someone else had already done this....

Any hints or suggestions out there?

Thanks -
    Wolvie150

2. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Go to a reputable garden shop or book store and get yourself a garden book on companion planting. I have a garden bible book, but each of us has our own choices of books that offer this much information. Don't go into this with an "anal" attitude. Go into this knowing you need to learn, to fail, then...to succeed. You have your own micro climates within your area, learn them. You may want answers, here...you get advice. I don't want to give you a fish, I want to teach you to fish.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Any garden clubs in your neighborhood? Knowledgeable neighbors? Seems to me that you would do better to talk to someone about this than try to swot it all up from books. Like cramming for exams---you might remember some of the stuff for a while but it doesn't stick in the brain.

Acoma's advice is excellent. Get a book or two (your librarian can help you with this---they are trained and educated to do so), read enough to get started, and then get out in your garden and just do it. We can help you, but there is no other way but EXPERIENCE to learn what works for your plants, your soil, your conditions. Every one of the experts here at the Forum has years of experience from which they have gleaned their knowledge. Your years start now!