Too Much Rhubarb

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Anne58, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

This is what I get for not splitting up my rhubarb plants and tossing at least 1/2 of the existing roots!

Recipes for rhubarb cakes and desserts just don't call for enough to keep ahead of it!
    My rhubarb patch - April 2007

. . . . anyone want some free rhubarb . . . .

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Perfect patch. It is almost impossible to have too much rhubarb. Pull, cut and eat. I eat it by the pot full and seldom have enough. Mine is not ready yet. Don't even think of dividing that perfect bunch.

Durgan.

3. Galt

Galt Active Member

Beautiful patch--ours looks about the same size down here in Southern Oregon. I just thinned it out as the newly emerging inner leaves were being starved for light and the plants sent up some flower stalks that I needed to catch and cut off.

We inherited our patch, but I have always wondered what time of the year the stalks were the best. I have often discarded the first or early spring set for the secondary and future growth. Is there any rhyme or reason to what growth makes for a better harvest, or is it all just fine? Unfortunately, I wish I had a little greater affinity for the stuff, but boiled with enough sugar seems to do the trick!

Happy Gardening!

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Galt--I think the green stems are sweeter than the red ones...am I the only one that thinks this counter-intuitive thought?

I do pick and use the very first stems in spring...so longed for after the winter. Also I never harvest past June, too woody and then there's so much else yummy from then on anyway...

5. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

I've also heard that you shouldn't harvest after June so that the plant has time to recuperate before fall. As for stalk colour I've never given it much thought. Mine are mostly a mixture of green and red on the same stalk. Generally the thinner stalks are more red and the larger ones are more green.

6. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://rhubarb2.notlong.com

3 May 2007 first rhubarb. Only enough for one bowl, but it was delicious. It has a beautiful colour.

Durgan.

7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Knew a fellow that grew them in wooden containers in a shed over the winter, no light if memory serves correctly. Tender stalks that he sold to retail grocers.