Identification: vine-like , waxy, heart shaped leaves, hardy, no flowers

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by anon541, Aug 5, 2005.

1. anon541

anon541 Member

I have a potted house plant/vine, which I have just been given by a friend. He left it in the car while moving and it wilted to near death, and was going to throw it out, but I figured I'd make it a little project out of it to see if I could nurse it back to health. i am, however, absolutely clueless as to what it is! (and of course I'll have a much better idea of how to fix it if I actually know what it is!)

It is vine-like, has no flowers, the leaves (before they wilted up) were rather heart shaped and had kind of a glossy/waxy feel + look. I know it has to be a common plant, because i've seen it before, I just can't seem to find anyone who actually knows what it is. It seems to be rather hardy, (despite its being on the brink of death,) so I think it'll pull through if I can just figure out what it is! (That way I''ll know know what sunlight to put it in, optimal temperature, water intake, etc. )

(In otherwords, I have no idea what I'm doing, PLEASE tell you know what this thing is!)

Thanks so much, and hope to hear from you soon!

2. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

Here's a guess...Philodendron oxycardium, or maybe Ceropegia woodii? Joe

3. anon541

anon541 Member

Thanks joe, but neither of those look quite like what I have? All the picture of Ceropegia woodii that i have found have flowers, and my plant seems to be a little more "viney" (sorry, can't think of a better word,) than the Philodendron oxycardium. Any more ideas?
    Thanks so much!
    I really hope to figure this out real soon as its looking even worse today, I think I'm going to try out putting it in a little more shade until I figure what this thing is!

4. giselley46

giselley46 Member

I think that I have the same plant, and I have no idea what it is. I'm trying to take care of it, but I'm not sure of what it needs. Please HELP!!!

If one of you can give me your email address...I can send you a picture, and maybe we can get an idea.

5. giselley46

giselley46 Member

Here's a picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2005
  6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

7. giselley46

giselley46 Member

Thanks! I think your right.

8. pothos

It's a pothos plant, part of the philodendron family. It should bounce back if you keep it in indirect to low light. it likes moderate to room temp, and make sure it can dry out between waterings, I water mine about once a week or two weeks in the winter. it's very easy to propagate, you just cut the long vines off near a "node" where the leaves come out, put it in a glass of water near a window until roots grow, then stick the root end into the pot. make sure you wipe off the leaves or mist it every 6months or so so that dust doesn't plug the pores. I'm sure it will survive, good luck