Propagation Choices

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jacquot, Jun 11, 2004.

1. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I recently discovered a Japanese maple growing within a barberry shrub in a neighbor's yard that I would like to propagate. It could not be moved without digging the barberry. I read about cutting propagation and air layering in Vertrees. Is one of these methods preferred? Also I would assume that for NY State, that the time for air layering is probably past, i.e., active spring growth has stopped, correct?

The tree is a matsumurae with the leaf divided completely to the base, it leafed out very bright crimson and has slowly changed through burgundy to a good medium light green. There are several maples in the immediate area, palmatum, matsumurae and dissectum, but none leaf out this brilliantly or have leaves this shape. I felt it was worth saving. The plant is about 18" high, but likely has been growing for several years and being cut with the shrub. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

David

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

graft it

Eighteen inches isn't very big but if there is enough side branching we could graft this tree. That would be the best thing to do besides cutting the barberry down. It only takes one piece of wood but a few would be added insurance.

3. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

You may have to wait for a couple of more years to see the true leaf shape and color of the maple. They tend to show juvenile traits until they are larger and may change leaf shape and color until 6 to 8 years old.

Grafting is the best way to propagate Japanese Maples if you want clones. I have the greatest success grafting in mid summer.

4. Dave

Dave Member

I have rooted ap using RootoneF and hardwood cuttings in late spring before the plants leaf out. I am also from Arkansas. Bottom heat would be recommended in colder climates.