dry tangerines

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by leswaste, Jun 25, 2007.

1. leswaste

leswaste Member

My tangerines are dry. I assume that if they have achieved size and are turning orange they should already have all the juice they will have. Is it correct that they won't get more juice as they turn orange? I think I water the seven year old tree sufficiently and it looks great. Anyone have any idea of the problem? Thanks. Les

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Because of certain conditions not yet fully understood the juice vesicles in some citrus varieties become modified, where the fruit lose as much as 1/2 of the sugar and some of their acid. As a result the vesicles have a dry, flat, insipid taste. This problem is sometimes called "dry end" because little if any juice can be reamed from the affected vesicles. The juice vesicles at the stem end of the fruit are usually the first to become affected, but in severe cases the trouble may spread to the vesicles in all parts of the fruit. In some localities Valencia oranges alone are subject to granulation, whereas in other areas virtually all the principal commercial varieties, may be affected to a greater or less degree. The problem appears to be associated with luxuriant growth. It is often more prevalent in large rather than small fruits, on younger trees than on old trees, and in humid than in dry areas. However, it can occur on any size fruit, any size tree, and in any area. The fruit from trees grown on rootstocks of the Rough lemon, and on rootstocks of trifoliate orange (Poncirus trifoliata) appears to be especially susceptible. This problem is sometimes mistaken for freeze injury. Generally, as a citrus trees ages the problem dissipates. - Millet

3. leswaste

leswaste Member

Thanks Millet, You've hit the symptoms right on; it is a young tree with "luxurient" foliage and the larger (though still small) fruit are affected. I'm encouraged that you think the condition will pass. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Should I prune to thin out the foliage or just let this healthy appearing tree continue to mature? Thanks, Les

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would do nothing to the tree, I certainly would not prune any of the foliage. The problem with the dryness will pass. Your chances for a good crop next season is high. - Millet