Fall color

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesmagpie, Oct 13, 2014.

1. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Re: October color

Other reds are coming soon.

Attached Files:

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Another year in the garden finally coming to the end!! Always the last to go are my Seiryu's and Shishigashira the latter will be around another week before it's in full colour glory,but one of the Seiryu's just caught this afternoons sun as it began to set and just looked like a burning bush in the corner of the garden very pretty lit the whole garden up very effective, this year is certainly one of the best i have ever seen them for colour.

One good thing about this fall with it coming early in the UK i have managed to re-pot various trees and completely transfer eight other trees which needed a change of scenery for next year,had quite a bit of colour clashing so they have been re-positioned so i should have a better balance for next year, just some light pruning to do and that's it for 2014.

Attached Files:

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Great "feux d'artifice" (fireworks)

We wish it would last longer, but that moment when the last rays of the sun kindles the tree is so exceptional that whatever the camera and the skill of the amateur photopgrapher, no one can fully appreciate the whole picture if not "in real life".

Not sure I made myself understood to all, but anyway that's how I feel ;-)

4. ROEBUK

AlainK i know exactly what you are trying to say,you have to be physically there to appreciate the colours,what you can't see in the picture are the subtle blends of golds reds purples all fighting for your attention and darting in and out the shades of the sunlight!!

And as you also say you can have the best camera and know all of the tricks of photography but you will never 100% fully capture the true beauty of Japanese Maples, and to me that's what makes them magical and beautiful and why it's pleasure to grow and look after them.

5. opusoculi

Roebuk, your picture is remarkable , it have thomething ineffable of an icon.

To day i was in contemplation with my seyriu , here it is , but on screen only ...

Attached Files:

6. opusoculi

3 Acer palmatum obtained from seeds i collected 5 years ago in Kyoto . Good growers, large green leaves, not too much summer scotch, colour's fall orange (more red this year).
    I grow in pots seven very similar trees ; "may i call them 'hiroha-momiji' is saing the little girl ? "
    As i have other types from seeds, it is a question for an other tread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  7. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Thank you all for showing off your beautiful autumn colors! For the second year in a row, only half of my maples were able to show some fall color before a cold snap hit and froze the leaves. It's so frustrating!!!

Now dreaming of a colorful spring in 2015....
    Kevin in KC

8. ROEBUK

Opusoculi your tree looks stunning as well, must admit i wish i had the lovely tree canopy which is shading your tree, have found with my Seiryu's they seem to be progressing better for colour as the years go by and they develop more in the ground.

One more picture of my tree again but in a totaly different light setting,typical dull damp murky November day in the UK then another picture of a Seiryu at the other end of the garden,total different colours again and finally the Shishigashira always the last to go but well worth the wait.

Roll on April/May 2015!!

Attached Files:

9. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

j.m.Koto no ito

Attached Files:

10. opusoculi

Zone 8b , full colours this week.

palmatum phoenix.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014