50' wide Fl. Cherry. My favorite to prune: ever.

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by M. D. Vaden, Mar 2, 2007.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Last night, I cropped a photo for a reply email to someone in the Brookings Harbor Oregon Garden Club, since their question reminded me of a certain tree.

In Wilsonville, Oregon, is the single tree that I enjoyed pruning more than all others during the year. It was a Mt. Fuji flowering cherry tree.

The tree was at least 50' wide, maybe 51'.

We measured it the day this photo was taken. My son came out with me that day, you can see him in the middle, sitting in the tree.

Anyhow, I thought some folks might appreciate the photo, to understand the potential size of this tree. Many sources list only 25' as mature width - this doubles that.

This one could have been much taller too. It's been "crown-reduced" to retain a view over it.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Zing! A beautiful tree.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, a nice specimen. How big is the trunk?

Another 'Shirotae', planted in Seattle during 1940 was 37' x 5' 10" x 51' in 1990. Japanese Flowering Cherries (Timber Press) says "Tree broad, umbrella-shaped with a flattened crown, to 5 m high and 10-12 m wide."

12 m = 39.3 ft.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

lovely. nice job Mario.

5. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

From a quick glance, I think the whole tree is in the photo, except maybe 1' off the edge, and the tree was slightly over 50' wide.

If you are okay with math, put a ruler on your screen and measure the width in inches of what you can see, of both the canopy and trunk. The point for DBH is about 1' below the first limb.

Can't find my ruler this moment.