"Limon" tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by patti sj, Mar 21, 2009.

1. patti sj

patti sj Member

Hi

I am looking for identification on a particular tree, and any knowledge of where i might purchase one.

My friends in San Jose, CA own a tree they call a "limon" tree. Now, I know limon is Spanish for lemon, but this tree has round fruit like a tangerine, colored like a Meyer's lemon, green flesh like a lime, and a flavor curiously mixed between lime and lemon, if not tangerine too, because it is sweeter than the other two alone. It is still much tarter than a tangerine.

Does anyone have knowledge of this tree?

Thank you,
    Patti

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Finally somebody else who has seen this tree! The full Spanish name for it is Limon Dulce (Sweet Lime) - I suspect it's a hybrid of some sort but I have no idea what the parents are. They start out green and quite sour, and if you allow them to ripen to yellow on the tree they get fantastically sweet and turn yellow.

I have no clue where you might buy one in the US, but if your friend is very kind to you, you may be able to get a cutting and graft that onto another citrus tree or onto rootstock.

3. Bahia Blue

Bahia Blue New Member

I know this is an older forum, but I was wondering if you ever located the tree? When we went to Costa Rica last summer, a tree fitting that description was ubiquitous. In fact, they don't even differentiate between a lemon and a lime there. I think it may be the tree you were referencing, and I'd love to find a source for one here in the states....

4. Darby

Darby New Member

Hi Bahia,

I am from London,Ontario and have a few Limon trees. My oldest is around 12 years old and I took some cuttings from it and now have 3. For some reason I find it hard to locate any Limon trees for sale.
    They were popular at one time. I have to say it is one of my favorite citrus trees I have though.
    My older tree produces about 150 per year ( not all years)

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

6. Darby

Darby New Member

Thanks, I actually did some digging around and they also suggest it may be a Persian lemon. I do know that when mine are ripe they are yellow on the outside and green on the inside with no seeds.
    Thanks again

7. sasuran

sasuran New Member

Hi Darby,

I actually just picked up some "limon tree" seeds from Seedy Saturday here in London (from you, perhaps!) and was just wondering if you had any tips on how to care for one? I've never had a citrus tree before, although I am very excited about it!! (I'm in particular wondering about whether it can or should go outside, needs to come in for winter, etc.)

Many thanks!

8. Luis

Luis Member

Hello everyone!!

I think I'm quite late to this thread of conversation. But I join the doubts that Sasuran has, I have acquired a Lemon tree and I have many doubts regarding his care. Especially with regard to pruning it.

My little plant is currently 1.5 m tall and about 6 branches that grow up 70 cm from the ground. Should I carry out some training pruning? Please I would like you to guide me with this because I have no experience with this type of citrus.

I've been consulting many websites where they detail how to prune a lemon tree (the link is the most complete). But the truth does not convince me 100%, so I would like to gather advice from people who have already had the same problem as me.

I hope you can help me! :)