Help!!! Kaffir Lime

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by lockedhalo, Jul 15, 2006.

1. lockedhalo

lockedhalo Member

My Kaffir lime (living just outside of Phoenix) seems distinctly unhappy;-(
    He at 1st thrived, but now that our routine temp is well into the 100+ he is sadly unwell....his leaves (previously perky) are curling and showing bits of yellow.
    I water him daily, and keep him in a mostly shady spot~he may garner 4 hours of sun/day...but indirect. The plant was a gift from my MIL, so I certainly do not wish to kill him;-( Should I ferry him indoors, Miracle-gro and keep him out doors...help!!!!
    TIA

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I am not an expert on citrus, but from what I have learned on this forum, you may be watering too often. Make sure the soil dries at least 2-3 inches deep before watering.

3. lemon_dreams

lemon_dreams Active Member

lack of sun could be an issue too. citrus are sun loving plants. I have mine in full sun from dawn to dusk. and even being in canada... we've been in the high 90s for weeks now with 100's soon to come

Why wold you plant it in shade??? watering daily in a shaded area is definatly too much wter

4. lockedhalo

lockedhalo Member

No, I just moved him to a shady area as his leaves looked burned~as he is native to Thailand he is not used to our AZ 112 temps. I have ceased watering him on a daily basis (although the lemongrass appears to thrive in sun and daily watering)~tonite I fed him some Miracle-Gro, but quite honestly during this heat he may need to reside inside.

5. Kolmer

Kolmer New Member

Hello. We have a Keffir Lime tree living in our home in Saint Louis. It likes the sun and as others have stated it should not be watered more than every 3 days or so. I lived in Thailand for over 6 years. It got up to 115 f just about every April so i don't think the AZ heat is a problem. I read a post from a man from Australia that said the more sun the better. I think too much water may be the problem.. ALSO they love fish emulsion. good luck !