propagating cattails?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by brianPA, Jul 2, 2009.

1. brianPA

brianPA Member

I have a small spot in my yard that is constantly wet or flooded due to the way water drains off a nearby hill. It is only about 8ft around. I was thinking about filling it in with dirt but I was wondering if I could grow something different instead. Any idea how to get cattails growing here? Dig 'em up at a nearby drainage ditch? Seeds?

I was also considering bamboo or a birch tree but this would be more entertaining.

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

The Red Winged Black birds will love you! (If you have them in PA). Swipe a couple of bulbs (?) from the drainage ditch. JUST a couple because if they are happy they will spread. Plant them down in the mud dam it up a bit to try to keep a little water in a make shift pond. Makes a great critter habitat. You could also tuck in a bit of water cress for salads. But, it needs some sort of water flow to grow The junk we get here in the grocery stores, at least here in the PNW is awful, and not cheep! Check other sites that talk about pond plants and have fun!!!! barb

3. brianPA

brianPA Member

Thank you... I wil have to go hunting for some soon here.

4. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Some other bog-type that you could try include snowy woodrush Luzula nivea and various rush Juncus. If the plants are happy in their new home, they'll definately spread!

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

By breeding cats?