School project

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Philip, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Philip

Philip Member

Hello, I'm doing a school project where i have to come up with a fertilizing regime for a few crops.The tree i'm growing is eastern white pine.The soil type is a sility loam with a ph of 6.5.Could anyone give me some sugestions.Thank you

2. angilbas

angilbas Active Member

A pH of 6.5 is higher than average for eastern white pine habitat ... although I have seen this tree on shallow soil over limestone (where the pH was probably even higher). I'd put a collection of seedlings into two or more groups (with one group -- the control -- receiving only water) and use various doses of chelated iron on the other groups to determine if iron will produce richer green and better growth.

-Tony

3. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Philip,
    We can not grow the Eastern White Pine here as our soil hangs around slightly over pH7. I do grow some acid loving plants like crowberry and Arctic Raspberry in pots. Since our water is relatively 'sweet', I dissolve Ammonium Sulphate in the water for watering every two to three weeks in summer. I find I can keep the plants happy and the soil pH low. As Tony said pines are sensitive to high pH and you might observe magnesium deficiency. Perhaps watering with ammonium sulphate solution will provide nitrogen and lower the soil pH at the same time.
    Peace
    Thean

4. Philip

Philip Member

Thank you for the information.It will help me with this project