orange tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by pinkgems1, Sep 19, 2009.

1. pinkgems1

pinkgems1 Member

Hi I am new to growing things and wouldn't mind someadvice. I have grown an orange tree from a pip, it has taken 12months to grow 5 inches, it has branched out quite a bit plenty of lovely glossy green leaves. At the moment I have re-potted it into a bigger pot, it is thriving quite well outside, what I need advice on is how to keep it growing, would it be better to bring it inside when the weather starts to get a little colder. I have many more seeds and pips and awould like to try to grow a lemon tree, also I have saved some melon seeds. Any advice waaill be much appr eciated.

2. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Pinkgems, If you search "growing citrus from seed(s)" you should get plenty of information. One thing to keep in mind is that with citrus it may take up to 20 (grapefruit take the longest) years to produce fruit (if ever) an then you don't know what you will get. A orange will still be a orange, a lime will still be a lime and may have significantly different characteristics from the fruit it came from. This can be a good - perhaps producing a more cold tolerant fruit or a much larger fruit...or a less desirable trait - like dry, tart or small... time will tell. There was a seedling "Juanita tangerine" grown from seed that survived 0 degrees f and went on to be a prolific bearer of quality fruit. Who knows what genetic makeup is in that little seed we spit out?

Anyway, growing plants from seed we collect is fun and well worth the enjoyment. You should be careful not to wait too long before bringing your little plant inside for the winter. When you do keep it away from heat sources and use a well draining soil to prevent root rot.

Good luck and happy growing,

Greg

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

An 12 month old orange grown from seed should be approximately 2 feet tall after the first year's growth. Millet - (1,214-)