Deciduous tree near cedars

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Alanna1, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Alanna1

Alanna1 New Member

Hi there,

I am looking to replace a very sad cherry tree in my front yard with another deciduous tree. My front yard is north facing and is surrounded by cedars. There is a small area near a cedar hedge that gets a little morning sun. The soil there is very moist and acidic. Currently there is a cherry tree there but it has a fungal infection and is dying.

Is there a type of tree that would grow well in those conditions? It is a small area and a large tree would not be suitable.

Thank you very much!
    Alanna

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Vine maple.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    i agree with vine maple, too
    acer circinatum
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_circinatum

a good nursery may have in stock ... or can get one for you even at this time of year - my nursery in our small town just got one in for me - I am not sure where she sources - I imagine out in the valley.

to get the size that offers immediate satisfaction - you'll be paying 60 dollars up per plant - based on my recent purchase experience

i underplant my vine maples with hostas, ferns, false solomon seal, those tiny winter cyclamen, salal

4. Chris Morris

Chris Morris Active Member 10 Years

Dykhof Nurseries in North Van always seems to have lots. It's just over the bridge. Small ones are $10.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    i've never been there - looks very tempting! (what an interesting history story on their website)