What is killing my wisteria?

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Hedgie, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Hedgie

Hedgie Member

I have a beautiful wisteria that has been growing successfully for the past 20 years. Suddenly the vines are starting to die. It looks like all of the vines from the old main stock are dieing and only the new vines shooting out from the base are still living. It looks like it isn't getting enough water, but it has just started dieing since we had the week long deluge of rain. Is it possible that the vines could choke themselves? The only maintenance we do is to train the vines through the lattice of the fence. We rarely have to water this plant since it seems to get plenty of water in the location where it is planted (water runs in its direction towards the drain approximately 10 feet away). What can we do to save this plant?

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I think we have discussed a topic along a similar line before.

Wisterias are pretty tough plants. Like all other green leafy plants, they are subject to a whole host of insect damage - aphids, leafminers, scale insects, etc. The leaves can also be infected with powdery mildew. But these vines are so vigorous and fast growing that they seem to be able to shake off these attacks and bounce back. Their ability to recover from such attacks may be weakened, if are in poor condition.

Of the bacterial infections, the one that is most likely to be lethal is the bacterium that causes crown gall - Agrobacterium tumefacens . This bacterium causes crown galls in a wide variety of broad leaved plants, including members of the "rose" family. There is no "cure" for the disease, but galls can at least be physically removed and the wounds disinfected. It can be lethal, howver, if it invades and attacks the root system. Infection is usually through "wounds" in the plant - i.e. have you been digging the soil around the wisteria recently?

Prolonged waterlogging in the soil can also be a problem, although, from your description, it seems that your wisteria is in a location with good drainage. In poorly drained soil, the roots are subject to fungal diseases - same as any other non-aquatic plants.

Unfortunately, if the reason for your wisteria's poor health is the latter two, there isn't much that can be done for your plant, except to improve drainage if it was poor in the first place.

3. Hedgie

Hedgie Member

We have not been digging anywhere around the wisteria. I had a look at the branches and base of the plant and cannot see any obvious crown galls unless they are on the root. The plant seems to be healthy except for the dead leaves - the vines all seem to be pliable. One thing we did do was stain the fence about five weeks before this happened. My husband was very careful around the vines, but he could have gotten some of the stain on them. He didn't spill any on the ground so it couldn't have gotten into the root system. Could it have possibly absorbed into the vines and taken five weeks before it affected the plant? I am hoping I can just leave the vines and it will come back next year. Am I wishful thinking?