British Columbia: Giant Lily

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Brad Ray, May 16, 2011.

1. Brad Ray

Brad Ray Member

I would like to add a Cardiocrinum giganteum (Giant Lily) to my lily garden/collection. Does anyone know where in the Vancouver area I can buy a bulb or two, and do you think growing this lily in Squamish is going to be a problem? All other lily plants I have are all doing very well.

Thanks. PBR

2. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Years ago, and I mean YEARS, I bought seedlings from UBC's plant centre at the Shop in the Garden. Had to wait forever, but the plants did bloom. I have a bunch of seeds collected last fall and kept in my cool basement. Don't know if they are still viable after dry storage like that (perhaps another member can answer that), but I'd be glad to send you seed. Send a private message with your mailing address.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Seed of Cardiocrinum giganteum are best fresh, but I would certainly try the seed from last fall. There were plants available in the Shop in the Garden here earlier in the year, but I think they are all sold now.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Note that this plant must have diligent protection from slugs.

5. Brad Ray

Brad Ray Member

Thanks for the heads up on the slugs.

6. paion

paion Active Member 10 Years

Gardens North offer seeds, but it takes a few years for them to reach flowering size. Thimble Farms probably lists it? Hardiness certainly won't be an issue, they're fully hardy even here in Norway.