Something is attacking my Astilbe

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Deltagal, May 16, 2011.

1. Deltagal

Deltagal Member

Hello, I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am also relatively new to gardening.

I have several Astilbe plants in my backyard garden in Delta. Each year (this is the 3rd year) they are attacked by something that nips them mid stem and the stems fall off or over, if not completely severed. The garden is quite shaded (north facing) but the plants do get afternoon sun. This year the damage is severe, with the plants surrounded by numerous severed stems.

I have found the occasional cutworm in my garden but am not sure if they are the culprit as the damage is mid-stem & not at ground level as I have read is the expected area of damage for cutworm attacks.

Does anyone have any idea what may be attacking my Astilbe?

Deltagal

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like weevil/beetle damage. Maybe look under dead foliage around the Astilbes and dig and inch or so in the soil around it. Usually, if there any weevils, you will find them.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Squirrels, maybe. My tulips get nipped off most years by these rodents. Why? Seems to be a hobby, as they don't eat the flowers---just let 'em lie there. Did the same thing to my toad lily last fall: first year I'd had the plant, and was all happy to see LOTS of buds...squirrels removed them ALL.

4. Deltagal

Deltagal Member

I 'googled' weevils pictures & I recognize them as having seen them in my garden. Now, how do I get rid of them? Thanks again for your help.