Portugeuse Laurel Hedge

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Vista 29, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Vista 29

Vista 29 Member

Our Laurel hedge is displaying many brown, dried leaves - it appears to have started sometime in Feb. There is a lot of new growth but the brown leaves are noticeable. I have checked and it appears that there are no insects on the leaves. Wondering if this could be winter frost damage ? Has this happened to other's laurel hedges ?

2. trina32

trina32 Member

Sorry, don't have an answer but I have the SAME problem and was also looking for an answer. For me, the hedges were growing beautifully until i pruned them about a week ago. This is actually my neighbours plant and I trimmed it as a 'favor' so hope we get some help so I can fix this!! :(

3. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

Just a shot in the dark, but I've noticed a lot of Port Laurel plants with severe canker in the last little while. Examine dominant stems, and branches for wounding. The plants I've spotted with brown dried foliage (usually localized) have quite dramatic canker wounding visible.