transplanting a Mountain Laurel?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by amysugihara, May 18, 2011.

1. amysugihara

amysugihara Member

Is it possible to successfully transplant a mountain laurel? We would like to move one from one area to another but don't want to if it won't survive the move. I'm not sure how long its been there, many years I'd guess. Its about 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Any tips on moving it if it is possible? Thanks!

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Kalmia laifolia, I guess. I have one that is about 25 years old & the size you mention. A family favourite. I moved it once years ago & it survived with difficulty. As I recall I moved it in the fall after the rains began. My soil is sandy/gravelly & I always add plenty of compost to the hole (See Ron's warnings about this practice where drainage is questionable). It was sickly for some years after & gets irritated every year if I don't mulch is heavily with leaf material or something.

My observation is that they do not like being touched, disturbed, dried-out or pruned (except dead bits). They do like organic matter, an acid soil & cool roots (mulch & understory plants)

...my kids called it the "Ice cream cone plant" from the flower shape & colour.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

like many Rhodos, shallow and fine roots generally, fairly finicky about transplanting but be gentle, provide adequate moisture and hope for the best.