Help with hedges please

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by jay9, May 7, 2011.

1. jay9

jay9 Member

OK, so my property is south facing, backing onto the railway tracks. The council have taken out my 3 x 100ft poplars (glad to see the back of them!) to put in a walking trail. I now have no privacy, 2 young kids and a puppy. Wanting to put in a hedge that is fast growing (to about 15ft high), preferably not poisonous, evergreen but not with needles. Was thinking Portuguese Laurel, Choisya Ternata or Ceanothus Victoria. Any thoughts?
    Am very new to this so any advice helpful!
    PS. Not allowed bamboo.

2. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

Based on your specs, a fence will be a cheaper and an immediately effective option. I'm a bit bitter about hedges used for privacy in general being that I face overgrown, improperly maintained hedges 10-20 hours of every week.

Hedges can be wonderful, just be sure that's the route you want to take. Ceanothus and Choisya will be quite expensive and slow to meet your goals, unless large nursery stock is sought.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The main issues with the last two will be them being too short and prone to cold damage. 'Skylark' ('Victoria') develops quite rapidly, from a small size.

Portugal laurel is slow and apt to seed out in this region. As does English laurel (and English holly, various cotoneasters).

West coast native Pacific wax myrtle can shoot up pretty quickly, has a vertical orientation to the shoots. Although rather dark it also has a glittery, perky aspect.

4. jay9

jay9 Member

Thanks for your help. Fencing not an option as the township will not pay. They will however pay for "replacement trees or hedging"
    I am able to attach a bamboo/willow roll my side of the chainlink (at my own cost) till my hedge grows in. Just wish I could make up my mind!

5. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

Well then, if it's on the town's dime, I'll throw Camelia x williamsii, Arbutus unedo, and Pinus sylvestris in as options. Year round cover with unique characteristics that aren't the every day Thuja or Prunus hedge.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I wonder if you could pull off Griselinia (littoralis?) in your locale. I have only seen it a few times in the nursery, it would likely be fairly unique.