Propagating and cleaning up Dracaena fragrans "Massangeana"

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Barbara92021, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Barbara92021

Barbara92021 Active Member 10 Years

I had this plant identified here and now I have some questions.

First pic shows how the plant splits into 2 stalks. (Ignore the measurements of the yard stick, I just used it to hold the plant straight.) I would like to know how to take one of the stalks off so that I can plant it in another pot. The stalk on the right is much closer to the main stalk and is the newer of the 2 stalks.

I rescued this plant and the new stalk was just beginning to grow when I got it. It is now growing up through the leaves of the other stalk. As you can see, there have been 2 small stalks cut off just below where the newer stalk started. Should I remove the newer stalk, or the older one, to make a new plant and if so how should I take it off? And, what is the best way to handle starting the new growth?

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

generally, drac's are split by cutting topping them off and planting the top portion (either in the same container or a new one) and then allowing the original trunk to continue to grow...over time it will sprout more leaves.

i don't know if you can actually cut on of the branches off and plant it. i suppose you could.

please wait for others to provide feedback before you do anything, though. wouldn't want you to cut it and then find that it was the wrong thing to do!!