CHC - Where to buy in Southern Ontario?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by burly, Mar 8, 2007.

1. burly

burly Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on where to buy CHC's in Southern Ontario(Sarnia, Ontario area) and what sizes of 'chips' are best. I have seen them on websites listing fine, medium etc. I don't want to pay shipping, so it would be best to get locally.
    I have run across peat fibres that are compressed but have never noticed the chips.

thanks,

Mike

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I found a bag of them in the pet store-- they are used as reptile bedding. They will need soaking and rinsing at least 3 times before using.

Skeet

3. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is this "CHC" that I keep seeing mentioned in this forum?

My outdoor potted Myers Lemon and a calamondin I have potted in good quality garden soil, with extra sand and compost as I was trying to make up what I figured was a "Florida soil". After planting a Bearrs Lime tree several years ago with just regular top soil with lots of compost and peat moss added, it died during our winter rainforest deluges from root rot. The mixture I changed to seems to have done the job, but is there something better they could be in? I also add a small handful of time-release fertilizer pellets each spring.

It's great to actually find out that there are others besides myself who love to push their zone. I am in an ocean-moderated micro-climate of about Zone 9.

4. burly

burly Member

Thanks for the tips on locating the coconut husk chips.
    Saw some at the pet store, but the price was way too high. I will check out the garden centres that carry orchids and see if they have any.
    I will order some if no luck finding them.

Mike

5. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Islandweaver-- CHC is coconut husk chips.

Burly, Millet always recommends the Crystal Co --I think it is in Ohio

Skeet

6. ddwisema

ddwisema Member

On the Citrus forum, Millet recommends buying CHC at the Crystal Company in St. Louis, MO USA Here is a website that explains the use of CHC and it also talks about how to rinse and prep it for use. I just bought a bale of this product from them, and will be rinsing it tomorrow using these instructions.

http://www.ladyslipper.com/coco3.htm

http://www.crystal-company.com/

I hope this helps.

7. yatyat

yatyat Member

lee valley has it. they only carry medium size thought, they also have coir bricks.