Identification: Tag said Canela

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kia796, Jan 27, 2007.

1. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Yet there's less than nothing on the internet about it, except that it may be the Spanish word for cinnamon. Is this tree called Canela, and where can I find cultural instructions? or a pic of it in its native environ. Google search gave me a Dating Service (which was tempting...), but I'd rather find out about my tree!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The ones I've seen with a label were indicated as Canella winterana, Wild Cinnamon.

3. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Thanks for that kwik reply!

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. Junglekeeper

I noticed the discrepancy as well; the RHS database has it under winterana. Google results seem to suggest winteriana is a synonym though there were cases of the opposite as well. (I gave greater weighting to the taxonomic related search results.)

Daniel, any help from the UBCBG on this one?

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Index Kewensis lists it as being originally published as Canella winterana, though that's not necessarily the final word. Will need to do more sleuthing.

7. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Appears as Endangered in Florida (presume encroachment from housing, as no diseases are listed).
    It's strange that all search engine references are to synonyms and dictionaries...I still haven't seen a pic of Canella in its native habitat.
    Thanks for digging into this puzzle.

8. Michael F

It's a matter of Latin grammar - plants named after a person with a name ending -er take the ending -eriana. There was some confusion over this in the past, with the ending -erana having at one time been the advised spelling, but this was corrected in the ICBN in (if I remember rightly) the 1994 Tokyo code.

For similar example, Picea breweriana was formerly often cited as Picea brewerana.

9. kia796

kia796 Active Member

So Canela winteriana is so named after the person named Winter who discovered and/or commercialized it? Despite all the help here, I still can't find a photo of it in its native habitat (so I can figure out cultural procedures).

10. Michael F

Yep; Captain John Winter, one of the ship's commanders in Francis Drake's circumnavigation of the world in 1577-1580. Same person that the family Winteraceae (including Winter's Bark Drimys winteri) is named after.

11. Michael F

12. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Michael is right about the name and interesting stuff about its origin. But . . .

It's NOT Canella. That has leaves with simple pinnate venation. Kia's plant has the 3-veined leaf characteristic of many Cinnamomum species. It may well be the true cinnamon, C. verum.

Canela is the Spanish name for cinnamon, according to this very useful website:
    http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Cinnamomum.html

13. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Michael, you're better than Google!
    Perhaps I couldn't find it because tag spelling Canela should've been Canella. Thank you for that link.
    It's stated to be Common in Miami, yet on the Endangered List...go figure.
    The flowers and fruit are beautiful.

14. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Tony, that link MULTILINGUAL MULTISCRIPT PLANT NAME DATABASE is very interesting. Thanks.
    C. verum photo nowhere to be found! (aaargh!) I'd like to compare it with Michael's great pic link.

(Tongue-in-cheek): While Canella (Cinnamon) may be Common in its tropical distribution, the lack of decent search results with photos makes it Endangered.

15. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

16. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Wow, Daniel, thank you.
    Eight pages of search PICS!!!!
    I'm off to compare leaves.

17. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Many good photos from Daniel's link to C. verum. On looking more closely, though, there are quite obvious variations--leaf colour notwithstanding--among the leaves pictured. In two instances, the veins resemble my (pic) leaf. In the majority of photos, it's way off. One more closely resembles a Ficus benjamina!

Could be that I have a Canella kia (*grin*)
    thanks, everyone.

18. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

You'll always get a proportion of misidentified pictures with a Google image search. Also, their search mechanism often does not associate the thumbnail with its correct caption.

I believe some of the substitute (for true cinnamon) Cinnamomum spp. such as C. cassia have very similar leaves and they can be difficult to tell apart.

Kia, is it possible you are still confusing the spellings of Canela (Spanish common name for cinnamon) and Canella (botanical name)?

19. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The Cinnamomum verum images look a lot like your plant. Note that the Google search page brings up photos associated to the text entered, they are not always photos of the text entered.

Considering the plant in question a good ID test might be to scratch and sniff the bark.

20. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Apart from learning about my plant, I've learned about search engines too, and with the nursery tag misspelling (Canela) versus the correct Canella, I've taken up a lot of your time.
    The bark smells nothing like cinnamon, even near the older base. Tree is likely too young. Its aroma might be enhanced once bark is dried in processing, vis a vis "the curl". I'll fondly recall these discussions as I try to keep it flourishing. Thanks all.

21. Junglekeeper

Home Depot had a couple of these trees today. The large, hand-sized tag with growing instructions on the back indicated Canela from Costa Farms. This may be the same company. Try contacting them; they may be able to give us a definitive answer.

22. kia796

kia796 Active Member

I tossed my tag as it had very little info. Will contact them, thanks.

23. Junglekeeper

According to Costa Farms, their product labelled as 'Canela' is Cinnamomum kotoense. The trees that are available locally appear to all originate from this company.

24. namawa

namawa Active Member

That's what I was going to say! (Ü)

It seems to me that most of these 'Canela' (Canela being a 'common' name, in this case) that have become widely available at the 'box stores' are Cinnamomum kotoense, (as junglekeeper stated above).

I have a young one (presumably a cutting from a larger tree) and found some information using that name.

I've read that they need both abundant heat and light, though it's been very difficult to find information on the watering needs.

My understanding is that it is, indeed, the bark that is 'aromatic' in this species.......the 'inner' bark of mature trees....so I doubt you'd find aroma in either the leaves or the bark of a young tree.

25. Junglekeeper

From the grower,
    I would interpret that as 'drought tolerant'. C. camphora is apparently susceptible to root rot; this suggests C. kotoense would benefit from a well-drained medium as well.