Sago Palm question

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Chandra, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Chandra

Chandra Member

Background:
    I've had a sago palm in my house, three years old.
    It has one set of fronds.

Problem / Question:
    There are 2 curled stems growing out from the center. They are longer than the fronds and are definately something different. They have little curled leaves on them.

click here to see, please.
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/ashzxtrm/CIMG0836-1.jpg

What are these?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Chandra,
    It appears to be a condition of being grown indoors and light conditions. The leaves should be thick and leathery, dark green and quite rigid. I don't see that with yours.
    Cheers, LPN.

3. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Hi, Chandra
    I agree with LPN, those poor leaves are vainly reaching for the light and are not getting enough of it to make fat, healthy fronds. Just be careful, when you move it closer to the light, that it does not get burned. Also, keep it oriented in the same compass direction (e.g., north) so that the leaves don't get twisted out of shape. Unlike most houseplants, cycads do not like to be rotated. Good luck!

4. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i have one of them and it did the same thing but, the elaves were nice and thick and dark green and healthy but they drooped downwards like this one does. Is it the same thing?

5. Sunset Cycads

If the leaflets are spaced out, like the ones in the previous picture, that is an indicator of lack of light. But if the leaves are fine otherwise and they are drooping it could be that you are watering it too much. Make sure the crown is not rotting (does it feel squishy?) Otherwise, if the leaves are green and fleshy and glossy, it sounds like a healthy plant.

6. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

its healthy and its feels woody i guess... definetly not soft and squishy. i water it when needed around once a week and a half or 2 weeks mabey sooner too. How should i be watering it...... it is in a small pot for it i guess mabey needs to be repoted?

7. Sunset Cycads

Water it when it becomes dry. It is very hard to kill a cycad -- overwatering is their weakness. But once every week and a half sounds about right. I don't think you have anything to worry about; it sounds like a healthy plant.

To check if it should be repotted, knock it out of the pot and if they roots are going around in circles then repot into the next size up. If the roots still have room to grow, put it back in the same pot and check next year.

Enjoy your cycad -- they are fascinating plants and quite unique.

8. kv466

kv466 Member

!!!maaan, same thing happened with my sago! is there any way that if i allow better light for it throughout the day, that perhaps it only grows one of two of these super long 'fronds' and then returns to normal? meh, it was perfect before this...

9. Sunset Cycads

You can cut off the offending leaves, if you wish, put the plant in brighter light, and it will sprout new leaves that will be more normal.

10. flywaysuzy

flywaysuzy Member

I just brought a small cycad home from the grocery store. It is in the sunshine in front of a big sliding glass door. I'm off to mark it's north side of the pot right now-thanks for the tip!!
    Suzy