ID and care help please - maybe Yucca

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by KnightRid, Apr 17, 2005.

1. KnightRid

KnightRid Member

Hi, from reading this excellent website and researching on my own, I believe this is a Yucca tree that I am inquiring about. I would like to know which Yucca it is, if it is even a Yucca, and also any help on the brown/dying leaves and care would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

I will try to attach pics - I never tried before so lets hope it works :)

full sized pics go here - http://userweb.suscom.net/~knirider/
    they are clickable thumbnails - dunno how to do that here :(

Thank You very much
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. I have this same yucca...have you found an exact name yet? I want to find out better how to care for mine since i live in Kansas! thanks.
    nbraswell@fountaincapital.com

Neal

3. KnightRid

KnightRid Member

No, I havent found out anything about it. I had tiny flying bugs in it so I sat it on the front porch - seems to be doing ok, even though the lower "branches" turned brown...??

I will post here if I ever find anything out about it!!!

One thing I can say - DONT WATER TOO MUCH!!!! if it is moist 2 inches into the soil - dont water it at all - seems to like it drier rather than moist...wierd if it is tropical..??

Mike

4. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Yucca elephantipes

5. Definitely Yucca elephantipes they recquire plenty of light and well drained soils. Regular water through warmer, growing months. Be sure to fertilse regularly if grown in a pot. Every couple of months with organic fertiliser or buy a slow release fertilser for longer lasting effect. I think you'll find the organic application more effective. Something with a high Nitrogen content should get your plant nice and green too.
    As for the lower leaves falling they do this with age and newer ones replace them. Once the plant has reached a decent height cut off the top, new shoots will form on the trunk. Remove all but four or so of these shoots and allow them to grow. In no time you'll have quite an impressive plant. Keep the top and plant it and it will grow too. Remove most of the leaf and be sure to keep it too wet while it forms roots or the trunk will rot. When you do eventually cut the trunk, do so in spring after cold nights have gone and not in the heat of summer either.
    Hope this helps.
    S.S