New to growing grapes for wine.

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by new2wine, Oct 10, 2005.

1. new2wine

new2wine Member

I have recently retired and now have time (between fly fishing trips) to do some work around my hobby farm. I would like to grow some grapes for wine making. An old friend who makes his own wine gave me 150 cuttings of White Baccus last spring and I have managed to get about 100 of them through the summer, I hope to plant them next spring. I would have prefered Reisling but I am told it won't do well here. My wife likes dark, bold red wine so my question is: What is the best grape variety, for the Ladysmith area, for making such a wine. I have deep sandy loam in the area I want to grow them.

Thanks for your help.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Apart from what BC Ag web site might have for you - I haven't looked - there is a fair bit on web site of Northwest Washington Agricultural Reasearch Station.

3. new2wine

new2wine Member

Thanks Ron;
    I tried the internet but Google gave me 100,000 sites to look at and I don't have the time for that. I need to improve my skills with Google and narrow the search down. I will try the two sites you have suggested. Thanks again, new2wine (Mike)

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

There's one vinyard a bit north of you in Nanaimo called Chateau Wolff, and several just south of Duncan.
    Try this list for contacts, and enjoy a tour. Buy some of the local reds, and when you find one you like, ask about their grapes. Some of these vinyards will sell cuttings, and away you go! http://search.winepressnw.com/searc...ect_type=Wine_Winery&sf_wine_biz_region_id=16
    WinePressNW Search

What will actually grow and ripen out on your property will depend very much on the local microclimate(s), but here is our list of more robust reds, all of which should work here:
    Merlot (late), Marechal Foch, New york Muscat, Baco Noir, Malbec, Pinotage, Sangiovese, St. Laurent, Cabernet Franc.

Ralph

5. new2wine

new2wine Member

Thanks for the help Ralph. I will ask Harry at Chateau Wolff (who gave me the Baccus cuttings) for some advice. He has made some awsome bold red wines.

new2wine (Mike)

6. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

This site has a fair amount of info on grapes for maritime climates - http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/winegrapes04.htm. I like the wine made from Agria/ Pinot Noir blends- there are wineries on Vancouver Island growing these grape and making some great wines.

7. new2wine

new2wine Member

Thank you for the advise Silver Creek, Harry V. Wolff has had good success with Pinot Noir so I may ask him for some cuttings.

8. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

You might try to find grafted grapes; Mt. Vernon's test gardens are showing more compact growth and earlier ripening when the grapes are on rootstocks.

9. new2wine

new2wine Member

I'm not sure if I dare try grafting but my son is a trained horticulturist and I'm sure he could handle it. Unfortunately, he is living in Taiwan for a couple of years but I think he is coming home for a visit in the spring of 2006. It looks like I may have a job for him to do when he gets here. Thanks again for the help, I will keep you posted as to my progress and success.
    Mike

10. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Ask Harry what his Pinot Noir are growing on.
    By the way, as you probably know by now, you're supposed to clip all the bunches on first (ans second) year vines to direct the plant's energy towards the roots and vine development, but I missed one bunch on one of the PN vines. We ate it about 3 weeks ago and WOW what a flavor. I think I'll "miss" a few next year too.

Ralph

11. winerysoon

winerysoon Member

Sounds like retirement is going to treat you well. Look into Marechal Foch it is a big red wine and is earlier ripening which works for us on the island. Get your wife to try the Clarinet from Alderlea Vineyards which is 100% Marechal Foch or from Starlinglane Vineyards both are great examples of what could be. Good luck.

Cheers