Leavs as a 'mulch/winter protection'

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Harry Homeowner, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

I do not want to spend the money on mulch this late in the season if i dont have to, but I do want to give my plants some winter protection. I recently made a new bed in my garden so all the soil is bare (no previous mulch) - can I use leaves to just give a little extra warmth for winter instead of mulch. Is this something I need to even worry about or do I need to buy a shredded bark mulch.

Thanks

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

go right ahead and use the leaves - they're nature's mulch.

i crush them up a little (so they don't fly away as easily) and i put out those short white wire edgers to hold them in, too. go with at least 6 inches worth if you can.

the plus is, especially for that new bed, is that when you can take off most of it in the spring the bottommost part will be partly decomposed and you can just turn it over into the soil.

3. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

Can you explain a little more or give me a link to the white wire edgers you are talking about - I don't follow, sorry. Also - great point about tilling some in for compost.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i'd take a pic of what i have except the battery for the camera needs charging.

sheesh! took me forever to find anything close to what i'm talking about!!

http://www.wilshiregardenmarket.com/garden_accents/Loop_Flower_Border.htm

what i have is coated in white and i got it at the local ace hardware store. just a basic metal frame that looks half decent with the decorative curves that you stick into the ground whereever it's needed. it was about $6.00 for a 10 foot piece (it folds up in two foot sections which you can also detach to make shorter runs). now, that's sale price at the end of the season and it was a few years ago, so it would be more now probably - maybe not, though. that link is for a completely different item - which is made of steel and not cheap wire with some plastic coating on it (so it's much nicer and much more expensive).

i've seen the same basic thing i bought at sears hardware, home depot, lowes and even at big lots and, of course, at the ace hardware where i got it at. some versions are taller and some shorter (anywhere from 4 to 10 inches). you'd need something that is at least six inches tall after you've got the little posts stuck into the ground.

i only use them in the winter to hold the leaves in place and then take them up in the spring and then remove the majority of the leaves.