New to sandy soil

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by mlp2147, Jan 1, 2009.

1. mlp2147

mlp2147 Member

Greetings everyone,
    I stumbled upon this site in hopes of getting some information and help with my new yard. I grew up in Illinois where it seems whatever we planted would grow... I am now in North Carolina and I have to say I'm a little nervous about planting anything.

I have a back yard that is about a half an acre in size and completely untouched. I am curious as to what I might be up against with my yard full of sand? I currently see myself building a few raised beds this first year to see how difficult it is going to be to get anything to grow.

My long term vision is a yard that is not only beautiful to look at but one that I am happy working in. Shrubs, perennials, veggie garden are just a few of the types of planting I'd like to do.

Anyone here have any suggestions or experience with the North Carolina soil? I'm in Onslow County and my zone is 8.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't have experience with your area but I did live ontop of the highest sand dune of one of our beachside suburbs here in Melbourne (Aust.) Much of this ancient sand area was very good commercial market gardens until the suburbs over ran it. The trick at least for me was compost and more compost manures and anything that will break down such as mulches straw etc to help retain the water. By the time you have worked on it over several years it will be like the best quality potting soil. It will still not retain water as well as a clay soil but it will hold enough for the suitable plants. I would start small and where ever you plant something such as a tree make sure the immediate planting area is well prepared. You might use a bottomless container sunk into the soil. (eg a circle of root barrier. Once the plant is established remove it. Meanwhile it will help keep the water and good soil mix around the plant. Sort of the same method of planting in stony steep ground.

Liz

3. JanR

JanR Active Member

I think you will find that raised beds will work very well. It will be very easy to amend the soil with lots of compost and composted manure to improve water retention, which is one of main problems with sandy soil. Also peat moss and vermiculite will improve water retention. Mel Bartholomew in Square Foot Gardening recommends that you make your soil for a raised bed out of 1 part compost, 1 part peat moss and 1 part vermiculite. It makes for a very nice soil, but can be rather expensive. I would just add as much as you can.

Good luck with your gardening.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A bed made up of only

>1 part compost, 1 part peat moss and 1 part vermiculite<

and nothing else would consist of nothing but vermiculite as soon as the other two ingredients decomposed. In a hot climate the peat could pretty much vanish within a year, as did happen during at least one documented instance in Oklahoma. During the process of arriving at that condition the total volume of material would shrink and settle markedly.

For ornamenal gardening on all suitably drained soils the main basic method for enhancing growth is mulching. Amending of soils is useful primarily for cultivation of small short-lived plants such as annual flowers and vegetables. The most direct and efficient way to prepare a special bed of plants requiring different soil conditions is to bring suitable soil onto the planting site from elsewhere and dumping it onto the existing soil, planting in that (without blending the two soils together, which could easily defeat the purpose of bringing in different soil).

5. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, my garden is totally sand -or was when i first started. If you dig one metre down anywhere in my garden you will find white river sand. The soil here is geologically ancient and is basically sand and limestone -nutrient poor in the extreme. There are many problems with gardening in sandy soil but also lots of benefits. Many plants love free draining soil and thrive because their roots are able to fully develop.
    Some of the things to consider:

Water retention- water can run off the surface and not be absorbed. This can easily be overcome by building up your soil with mulch, compost, animal manures and using a good wetting agent. I use wetting agents on my garden 3 to 4 times per year as our summers bake the soil and increase the surface tension also, we have water restrictions. The wetting agent also helps retain water in the soil.

Ph, trace elements- Our sandy soilis are alkaline and deficient in many trace elements. It is worth finding out about the soil in your area -from local gardeners and getting your soil analysed if it is not too expensive. Once you know what you're dealing with then it is not too difficult to remedy. Despite having alkaline soil with lots of bits of limestone, azaleas, camellias, gardenias etc flourish in our soils -it's all in the compost and manure. You will probably have to add missing elements to ensure a healthy garden. Magnesium is chronically deficient in our soil so I regularly add that - the gardenia leaves are a good way of monitoring when it's needed.

Soil quality- as everyone has mentioned, build up the quality of your soil. It is an ongoing process but very worthwhile. As Liz mentioned you can have a really productive garden. To improve the soil I have used tons of animal manures, compost, mulch, buried food scraps etc to encorage worms and now have good soil. To keep it that way i continually add to the soil. During last spring I spread around 30 x 100 litre bags of sheep manure as well as all of the leaves from our deciduous trees this is on a 600sqm block (including the house). We have tons of worms in the garden -i used to have a worm farm but found that it was better to build up the soil and encourage the worms that way.

I quite like gardening in sandy soil as it is relatively easy to correct, you learn a lot about plant nutrients etc and you always have a good medium for cuttings on hand :)
    ciao bertoli

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  6. mlp2147

mlp2147 Member

Thank you for all the responses. I have a couple of months before I make it back home so this will allow for some more time to think about my beds and give me the time to start my planning of the yard.

Mike

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

8. Brenda Weeks

Brenda Weeks Member

Rhododendrons or azaleas should work fine in your new area, as long as they are in they are in shade or semi-shade. The new ENCORE azaleas work in any light. They would be a safe try. Also, try planting Cape Jasmine gardenias in semi shade. They should do well. If you want a hardy upright evergreen shrub, plant Emerald Green Arbovite. It grows slow (about 4 inches a year) but looks great. Of course, the old die hard hostas work well too, just about anywhere. Good luck.

9. Liz

Rhododendrons or azaleas like acidic soils would they be ok in sandy soils.

Liz

10. Brenda Weeks

Brenda Weeks Member

Yes, they should do fine. If any pine trees or oaks grow in your area, so should azaleas or rhododedrons since you are in the south. If your soild is more sandy due to being close to the beach then they will not grow there.

11. Liz

Thanks Brenda, no was asking out of curiosity. I live in hills with red volcanic soil and the rhodos and azaleas are a sight to behold. I lived at a bayside area many years ago.

This is up the road a couple of miles

http://www.vicrhodo.org.au/gallery.html

Liz

12. Brenda Weeks

Brenda Weeks Member

Liz - Good luck on your gardening. I too have sandy soild in the hills. My azaleas love that sandy soil and so do the roses. I mix alot of pine straw and leaf much in the bottom when planting them. That may be part of my success but who knows? Gardening is so much fun but also so unpredictable!