Prayer Plant - yellow leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Michelle12, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Michelle12

Michelle12 Member

I live in San Diego and have an indoor prayer plant that was doing great but recently has been developing a lot of yellow leaves. It doesn't get (or need) a lot of sun ...not sure what is causing it or how to help it. I water once a month - maybe it needs nutrients? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. natureman

natureman Active Member

Possibly underwatered, or too little humidity, does it go outside during summer months? It would probably enjoy if you made some artificial local humidity ( saucer of rocks and water underneath the pot). This may also help:
    Hope it gets better!

3. Michelle12

Michelle12 Member

Thank you so much for your reply. The soil is moist about an inch down, so will water again. I thought I'd been overwatering, causing leaves to yellow. Yes, I do put it outside for the day(s) in the summer. I will follow your advice immediately! Again, many thanks! (-:

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Under watering manifests itself in this plant as browning on the leaf margins. Yellowing is different, and not really a problem. A given leaf and/or shoot only has a limited life span. Once it reaches that it turns yellow. Just cut it off. New fresh shoots should be almost continually sprouting out of the middle of the root mass. I do suggest giving your plant more light as they do prefer a bright location.

5. Michelle12

Michelle12 Member

Thank you for your reply. I've had the plant for over a year, and it did occasionally have a yellow leaf or two -- it was only recently that the number increased significantly. Yes, there are new shoots in the center, so the plant seems healthy. I will cut the yellow ones, give it more sun and trust it's doing better than I thought. Again, many thanks! (-: