Best wine grapes for Comox Valley

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Maureen Haslehurst, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Maureen Haslehurst

Maureen Haslehurst Member

Hello, I am new to this forum and have joined as I am interested in starting a vineyard. My husband and I have 10 acres in the Seal Bay area. The land surrounding our property was taken out of the ALR a few years ago and when the owner made his presentation, he provided a report that indicated the soil in this area is suited to grape growing. The project which is going ahead-adjacent to us has included a vineyard and winery in their development plan. I have no interest in making wine but would like to provide grapes to other island wineries. Our property has a slight southern slope and soil is gravelly. Any suggestions as to what might do well here and be marketable would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Maureen

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

There are few (if any) proven varieties in this area, but there are several that look promising. That list is actually too long to print here, but if you could narrow it down some by styles that would help. We (on Denman Island) have over 50 varieties of wine grapes on test, all of which should be able to ripen in this area subject to micro-climate considerations.

I would suggest you immediately start at least one temperature log station in the proposed vineyard area. This will enable a comparison to the Comox airport data and provide a reasonable basis for a choice of varieties. You have to keep in mind that what you want to grow and what will actually ripen (most of the time) are not necessarily the same list.

Temperature loggers are available for less than $100, plus a shelter (white louvered box on a post). Feel free to message me if you want particulars and sources.

Ralph

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maureen,
    I may be able to help you. There are some that are successful in the Cowichan valley and would likely do well up your way. How much do you want to plant? I could find out rather quickly what, and how much is available. How many acres are you considering planting? You can e-mail me if you like, for further particulars.

Cheers, LPN

4. Maureen Haslehurst

email?

HI LPN..I'm new this forum and can't PM you..perhaps you could let me know your email address.
    Thank you
    Maureen

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maureen, you can send LPN a private message.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/private.php

I see you have not allowed Private Messaging. A lot of people are cautious about giving out there email addresses. The private messaging allows members to communicate through the forums without using email. You may want to consider turning PM on. To do so, go to My Settings (green bar at top on left); Edit Options; make change in Messaging and Notification and save changes.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Right, sorry to confuse things. Thanks Daniel.

Maureen, I guess you will have to wait a few days unless LPN decides to send you an email.

8. Maureen Haslehurst

thank you..I'll wait patiently.
    Maureen

9. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maureen,
    I've sent you an e-mail. LPN.