Ornamental Pepper Problem

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Unregistered, Nov 8, 2003.

1. I have an ornamental pepper plant, have been watering whenever the soil feels moist, as per instructions, and give it indirect sunlight. Over the past few weeks, most of the leaves have started wilting or shriveling up, and have been getting small brown insects on the bottoms of the leaves-tons of them, so much that they pile up under the plant. What's up with this? How can I make it stop and make my pepper plant healthy again? Thanks for any help!

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Are you referring to the genus "capsicum" which includes chili and bell peppers? These are perennials from tropical North and South America. Where not hardy, capsicums are grown ornamentally in greenhouses, conservatories, or as house plants. The ornamental pepper prefers bright filtered light, with high humidity and temperatures of at least 21 degrees celsius. A common pest to this plant is the Spider mite, which thrives in hot dry conditions. Rinse or wipe off affected leaves with water or insecticidal soap, and mist plant daily to prevent further attack.

3. MrB

MrB Member

I have a similar problem with my plant save for the bugs. So I've trimmed off the wilt and left the fruits and healthy leaves. But the plant is looking a bit bare. Not sure if I've watered too much. Is there any potential in trimming the plant right back and letting it start to leaf again from square one? Will try to re-pot as there are roots comoing from bottom, (but want to wait for plant to recover from trim job it jsut got. Any suggestions?