How to grow orchids

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by valery, Aug 18, 2005.

1. valery

valery Member

I live in NJ. I love orchids but never bought one. I'm afraid to try one. I have a south facing window and would love to have some orchids for that spot. It does get sun all year, but I could place the plant away from the window if needed. Can I grow an orchid there? Would the direct sun be too much. I haven't yet found a garden center in my area that has staff that can really tell me how to properly care for plants. I think they tell you whatever it is you want to hear, or even make things up. This is why I have stayed away from orchids. I feel awful if I purchase a plant and then it dies because my care is wrong. If there is a specfic species that is better than another I would choose that one. Since I know nothing about orchids, other than their beauty,if someone can either tell me how to grow one or send me a good sight I would appreciate it. Then with any good luck I can post a beautiful picture with my thanks.
    Valery

2. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

Orchids are lovely and easy to grow if you follow some simple directions. There's this false myth that says "orchids are hard to grow, they're only for experts with greenhouses, blah blah blah", and that isn't true. I love orchids and they grow really great (and I don't have a greenhouse or am I an expert)!

A windowsill is a great place to grow orchids. The most popular varieties are phalaenopsis (moth orchids), dendrobiums, oncidiums, cattleyas, ...paphiopedilums, cymbidiums, and so on. You probably don't know what I'm talking about, lol. Please check the American Orchid Society with good information about each specific type of orchid. Once you have one orchid...you'll want more and more and more. It's the largest plant family in the world!

These four really do well on windowsills. Dendrobiums and cattleyas like sunlight (no direct midday sun, or you'll hurt the leaves). Direct morning/late afternoon sun is good. Phals don't like direct sun. Oncidiums can handle a bit of direct sun.

American Orchid Society
    Orchids are easy to bloom if they're happy. Some popular oncidium hybrids (one of my favorites) is oncidium Sharry Baby, the dancing-lady oncidium: Onc. Sweet Sugar or Onc. Gower Ramsey. Phals...well, there are so many phal varieties, such as phal. brother Sara Gold, Phal. Brother Lawrence, and once you've grown a few phals, phal. Violacea is great. It's up to your tastes for which type of orchids to buy!

3. valery

valery Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm ready to try my first orchid. I had been seeing alot in many garden centers I visited earlier in the season. I hope I can still find some at a good price( currently out of work on a medical leave. ). So later today perhaps I will do a little shopping. Thank you again, and wish me luck with one of these beauties. Valery

4. GreenLeaf

You're welcome! When you get your orchid, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here! How you're going to take care of it depends on the type of orchid...well, good luck growing your orchid! It won't be hard--just remember not to water too much (the #1 killer of orchids)...and anyways, enjoy and have fun growing it!

5. susannaklassen

susannaklassen Member

I would like to transplant my orchid but don't know how to do it. It is presently in a glass pot in a soiless mixture with rocks at the bottom.
    Susaan Klassen

6. 1176el

1176el Member

After the blooms have fallen where do you cut the stem .Elsie

7. GreenLeaf

What kind of orchid is it? The worst thing is to pot at the wrong time--when the orchid is not growing. Best time is spring, when you see new growths/leaves and new roots appearing. I find something on the web. The following website gives the general method for repotting most orchids (the one shown there is a phalaenopsis, but you follow the same way for other types. Step by step pics. http://www.easyorchids.co.uk/site/content/view/27/69/

8. GreenLeaf

Is it a phalaenopsis? Then you can cut it above the highest node ( a node is a green triangular object stuck flat against the spike on intervals). You can expect a side spike producing less flowers or a keiki occasionally. If you want a regular sized spike of good blooms then cut the spike off at the base and wait for the spike next season.

If it's anything other an a phal just cut it off at the base. Nothing's going to happen if left on the plant--it'll yellow off.

9. H20.world

H20.world Member

How has that orchid turned out? ~ I've got a few that are a couple months old, and are pretty much dormant. ? ? ? I guess they're waiting on spring?

10. for-orchids

for-orchids Member

Valery,

How are you doing witnh your orchid/s? Did you buy one? I just wanted to say that killing orchids is part of the processs of learning. There is no one expert out there who didn't kill at least one when he/she started. Tha's why, contrary to our impulses -yes we want to buy the most gorgeous orchids as our first plant, we should buy 1 mature Phalaenopsis that is cheap and would not hurt us if it dies. Learning to care for orchids is a trial and error process. There is no one right way. Is whatever works for you. For instance, Most of my flowering Phals are under direct (full) sun all morning until around noon. Yes, I got a few yellow leaves, but that's until the ochids got used to the sun. Now they are doing great - see piture below showing 1/2 of my flowering orchids. You will kill many orchids but grow many more and enjoy them. It's ok, I still don't get over my first Phal, amazing display looking Phal with two sipkes full of, and I mean full of, flowers and branching spikes, it must have had around 30+ flowers (never seen one like that ever, except at Asian shows). What can I do. Now I have around 60 beautiful orchids growing happilly thanks to those dead ones.

Don't feel bad, keep trying and reading, take classes too!

[​IMG]

11. rubyrose

rubyrose Member

wow your phals are looking great how i wish i have phals also mine are all vandas, dendro and cattleya and oncidiums. i am sourcing out phals here in the phil.