Pear leaf blister mites

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by happiecamper, May 18, 2007.

1. happiecamper

happiecamper Member

My tree has pear leaf blister mites and it is getting pretty ugly. Would anyone know if there is an effective spray I can purchase and use myself or would I need to hire a professional tree person to come out and spay?

leafs.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  2. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

I was just Googling around the other day on these pests. Most commonly recommended treatment is dormant spraying with Oil and Sulphur, although one article I read mentioned that Cygon seemed to be more effective after a conducted trial of both products. The nice thing about using Cygon is it can be applied to the trunk with a paint brush, very easy and no spraying required. The not so nice thing about Cygon is it really stinks and is reasonably toxic if not handled properly. I found a link to the article I read. Good luck Jim.

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/ipmnet/4-3art4.htm

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

no cygon (dimethoate) for retail sale or consumer use up here in Canada though, eh.
    :)

4. happiecamper

happiecamper Member

Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully I can find it here in No. Utah and it is affordable. I will definitely look into that but I guess I will have to wait until pre-Spring season before it begins to get leaves again.

5. episag

episag New Member

I have the same problem with my pear trees. :(

You want to try this sulfer sprays in the fall (after production and before leaves fall)
    and neem oil in early spring.
    Check this link for detail:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r603400511.html

6. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I would also rake up all fallen leaves, bag them securely and put in the garbage. Do not compost!