Japanese maple swamp maple hybrid?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Ryan Harris, Nov 18, 2004.

1. My name is Ryan Harris and I am new to gardening. I live in south Louisiana zone 8b. I currently have some Swamp Maples (acer rubrum) and an Osakasuki Japanese Maple. I was curious if it was possible to cross any of the japenese maples with a red maple.

If so, do you have any recommended reading on how this may be accomplished.

I am a chemist not a biologist.

Also, what is one of the largest japanese maples that would be heat tolerant in this part of the country? Preferably with some green leaves throughout the summer.

Thanks for any info.

If anyone has some extra time. Respond to Harrisphd(at)yahoo.com

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Impossible

Won't happen. The two species are too different. Japanese Maples, Acer palmatum and related species, belong to the section, Palmata in the family Aceraceae. Acer rubrum is in the section, Rubra. Maples are listed in different sections based on reproductive specialization and Palmata is the second most primitive form whereas Rubra is fifteenth. Species within the section, Rubra, are more advanced and therefore have different reproductive mechanisms.
    A locally grown green species plant may do well down there. The cultivar 'Okushimo' may handle the heat and humidity and is said to grow rapidly to 25'. It has an interesting crinkled leaf and golden fall color. During the growing season it has a good, deep green color.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  3. sreyan

sreyan Member

Thanks Elmore. Could you possibly briefly explain what some of these differences might be in each reproductive section? That might be too long, perhaps you could refer me to some useful resource.

4. sarahatbernheim

sarahatbernheim Active Member Maple Society

May I ask why one of Acer rubrum's common names is Swamp Maple? I tried to find an answer in Dirr but couldn't find an answer.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Often occurs in damp places.

6. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, Acer rubrum can take flooding, hence the reference to "swamps".

Very interesting thread, Ryan. I too would be interested to know a little more about the 'reproductive sections' you mentioned. What other speices WILL cross with Acer palmatum? Also, has anyone tried any of the advanced reproductive technologies to get a cross to occur between species of different sections (i.e. invitro type stuff?)

Thanks!!

K4