Washington: My Weeping Giant Sequoia is turning bown

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by paulapj, Jun 20, 2011.

1. paulapj

paulapj Member

I planted a Weeping Giant Sequoia, and it has slowly turned brown. I did the Vita B-1 one, and a ferterazler. I also did a soil amendment. I have watered it very well. It is not by any other tree's ( it is a center piece to my island in my drive way). It is in full sun. What am I not doing / doing wrong. I think I am going to loose it.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maybe adding and doing too much - all a newly planted tree needs is water. But it may also be the nursery's fault, if too many of the roots were damaged or cut when it was dug.

3. paulapj

paulapj Member

I think you maybe right on the roots. When we got it the roots were so grown outside of the bottom of the pot I had to cut them off to get the pot off it. Is there a fix for that? Should I just wait and see what I have through the season? I got it at Home Depot and they said there was a one yr return on it. what do you think I should do?
    Thanks for the input!

4. Michael F

Probably not. I'd take them up on their one year return. If you get a replacement from them, cut the pot off and keep the roots; but also check if the roots are coiled at the bottom of the pot (not good - can make the tree unstable in later life).

5. paulapj

paulapj Member

great! thank you so much you probley saved me $100.00! :)

6. Michael F

Personally, I'd buy a small one from a more reputable independent nursery. They grow so fast that starting small doesn't lose you much time. Home Despot doesn't exactly have the best of reputations when it comes to plant quality!

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

If it was due to too much roots cut, it would have to have been a real masterpiece of root butchery.

In the 1980s, the Dept. head of the college I went to, gave me a 20 foot tall specimen, that was in a big metal tub down in a wooded area of his property.

It was June. It had a tap root, so I had to tilt the pot and cut the tap root. In the process, the loose soil fell from a relatively small root system.

I wrapped the tree in plastic including the roots, and moved it bare-root on a day that was about 85 degrees from an east suburb of Portland to Beaverton on the west. Roots on my tailgate, and the top bouncing in front of my truck, because it was resting on my cab.

We stood it in a pre-dug hole, and poured in several wheelbarrows of a mud made from the soil, around the roots. Then I cabled it in 3 directions to other trees for support.

Before moving, it was sprayed with an anti-dessicant.

It survived with no discoloration.